Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAM Question

Question RAM Question

Ok, I just bought this ram, and I know 2 gigs is plenty but I want more for future-proofing my machine.

Now I've only got 32bit XP so I don't see the point in getting another 2 gigs if I'm only gonna see 3.5 gigs of it.

So then I thought 'Why not get 2x512Mb sticks?'

But I'm not sure I wanna just go out and buy any old ram cus I know that it has to be the same.... but how much the same?

Can I just get DDR26400 - 800 ram or do I have to get ram with the same timings as well?

Please enlighten me........
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    EVGA P55 SLI FTW / i5 750 2.6GHz / 4GB Gskillz / nVidia GTX 275

Wanderer

Default Re: RAM Question

Depends on the motherboard. If you have dual channel - they work better in pairs of the same thing.

So 2x 1GB kinda thing.
    Also in terms of how many slots does you motherboard provide, if you want future proofing.

For the timing - not sure. But for the speed motherboards tend to be able to support not just the max speed of RAM they may be able to support slower speeds too .... provided its compatible - refer to manual.

Edit. Hmm .. ok .. you bought 2x 1GB and now may want to add 2x512MB.
    Ok ... yeah an option, assume the motherboard support such setup.
    Assuming its capped at 4GB support for the motherboard.
    My own view is that compare the cost, how much cheaper is 2x1GB vs 2x512MB. At the expense of ~500MB ... I cannot fault it but that's me...
    Last edited by Nomad; 11-04-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Wanderer

If the motherboard supports 8 or 16GB .. I myself may get 1x 4GB or 2x 4GB to future proof. Because with that, if you take advantage of 64bit OS you have more memory available - that is of course if you need such a thing.

I'd go with the 2x1GB & 2x512MB if I were you. Might as well get the same clock speeds too. I don't see the point in getting all that RAM unless you're buying a 64bit OS NOW! With falling RAM prices, you might as well buy the extra RAM when you upgrade to 64, save yourself some moolah.

But if you're mostly gaming then it's the GFX RAM that you're going to notice, not the onboard. So I wouldn't bother past 3GB. If that.

Wanderer

Ok .. I put my view. If you are gonna use 32bit .. I get that 2GB and use it for a while and later get 2x 512MB.

If you are going to 64bit OS. I would really get a new computer. Memory wise, 64bit OS from what I read uses more RAM for windows than 32bit OS. So .. if both systems are 4GB installed, the 64bit system has about the same - cos ok you get 500MB more .. but 64bit OS takes a bit away from you ..

So I think 64bit OS, is to get something significantly more than 4GB. That is of course if you need such memory.

New computer yeah .. 4GB support motherboards been here for yonks. 64bit is coming out .. if I was in for a new computer that is what I would aim for. You can get motherboards that support 8 or 16GB now that is not too $$$, not that you need to add that much, just start off with 4GB and then leave the other 3 banks open for "future proofing". Sure .. 4GB on 64bit may be about the same as 3GB on 32bit .. but you have that future proof. By itself its not bad either .. if you don't get into that specs race thingy.
    Last edited by Nomad; 11-04-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Dont forget OP, you have bought 2 x 8800GT with 512mb each, so total RAM you see will be 4Gb, less 1GB graphics LESS Virtual Memory, so you may not even see all your 3GB on 32bit XP or Vista!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Your saying that 32bit OS can only support a total of 3.5Gb ram and that INCLUDES the GFX ram?

So I have 2Gb ram + 1Gb GFX ram = can only have 512Mb ram left?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    EVGA P55 SLI FTW / i5 750 2.6GHz / 4GB Gskillz / nVidia GTX 275

Why are you so obsessed with RAM? And future proofing? The point of future proofing is that you do it in the future. I'd get 2GB, and then be happy with that. Your comp is fast... you don't need any more.

But if you want to spend money on things that you'll never see I can send you my bank details if you want.

in for the kill

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralKanos View Post
    Your saying that 32bit OS can only support a total of 3.5Gb ram and that INCLUDES the GFX ram?

So I have 2Gb ram + 1Gb GFX ram = can only have 512Mb ram left?
    XP 32bit has a 4GB limit. If you have two 512MB cards in SLi/CF then you would have around 3GB to use for RAM.

TBH you are wasting your money OP. 2x1GB is enough for anything and future proofing would not involve DDR2 as DDR3 is going to be mainstream once Nehalem and AM3 come out by years end.

Wanderer

If want to hold it for more than a few yrs then sure ..

If you are only playing games .. what's the point. Games probably require more upgrade than one every 3 or 4 years So you would eclipse it.

If you are dealing with big files like workstation, photography tif and raw files, video, music that kinda stuff yeah ....