Default Transferring data from a Windows ME PC to a Windows Vista laptop

Hi,
    Does anyone have any ideas how to move data from a PC running Windows ME to a laptop running Windows Vista? The PC either has a USB port that does NOT recognise USB flash drives or it does not have a USB port at all (excuse my confusion on this - I haven't used this PC in a while and I don't have it with me right now. I just know USB drives were no good with it previously - I just can't remember the reason!)
    It has a CD drive but no burner. It has a floppy drive, but the files are too large for this (and the new laptop doesn't have a floppy drive anyway).
    The PC can be connected via dial-up to the internet but the virus software has long since expired so I'd be a bit nervous about doing this.
    I don't mind spending a bit of money on a solution. Would an external hard drive be the best bet? Are these always connected via USB?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Transferring data from a Windows ME PC to a Windows Vista laptop

Theres tons of options. IMO a straight P2P network is the easiest, assuming the win ME PC has a network port.

Otherwise throw the HDD into an external case, or get an IDE to USB adapter and plug the ME HDD into the lappy that way.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Lost Cause

A simple Cat-5 Crossover would be cheap and should allow you to connect the two together via a simple ad-hoc type network.

Car and Computer Geek JUST INSANE's Avatar

the fastests and guaranteed solution is to get a usb harddrive encloser which you can pick one up for under 30 bucks. But you need to remove the harddrive from the pc and hook it into the encloser which is a piece of cake only general knowledge is required.
    Intel Pentium 4 641 OC to 8.14 Ghz
    Asus P965
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Corsair Value Ram DDR 2 667MHZ 2GB
    AcBel 400 watt
    Prometia
    Seagate 500 Gb x4 Raid 5

Correct my English!

Crossover networking: Refer to my signature!

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

just on the topic of just insane you can get the hard drive removed or do it your self and buy a case for it then you have your own flashdrive and you get your files. but when you plug the drive in i suggest copying the files and re-formatting the hard drive to remove any unwanted clutter
    Last edited by VISTA PRO; 04-04-2008 at 03:41 PM.