Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Error in System Registry

I think my machine has got a virus. Everytime it started, Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry, then the Windows restarted and restored an old copy of system registry.

I reformatted c: drive and re-installed WIN98, but the problem still exists that I can't install any other programme or hardware.

How can I fix it?

Default Re: Error in System Registry

Try a low level format then a high level format,low level format takes about 45-60min. per gigabyte, warning once started do not stop-pause or interrupt the process or permanent damage will result to your harddrive. Phoebe

OK,can you get your hands on a copy of microsoft's Regclean this is a free progam,basic but it will soon tell you what the problem is one way or another. Phoebe

PS, run it from the floppy drive. Phoebe

Win98 has a utility, scanreg, which can be used to fix and restore corrupted registry files.

Boot to the DOS prompt using your boot disk or by pressing F8 when the 'Starting Windows..' message appears at startup.

Type scanreg /fix to scan the registry for any errors. To resore a previous registry backup type scanreg /restore, this is unlikely to work since your problem still exists after reinstalling.

You can also use this program to optimise the registry by typing type scanreg /opt. Typing scanreg without any prefix will bring up a menu with a list of options.