Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    South Seas Parrothead Twelvevolts's Avatar

Default i Tunes Never Works

I have never been able to get iTunes working because I always get a message that "iTunes can not be found or created and is required. The default location is inside the Music folder". I uninstalled and reinstalled several times and dropped the iTunes programme into the music folder, the my music folder (just about every other folder) and it just doesn't run. I have two drives, one partitioned into four parts and the other a separate second drive.

Fortunately I use a Sony Video walkman (a hugely better product in my view) and we have more than one computer, but it was still handy to have iTunes running for my daughter's iPod. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Default Re: i Tunes Never Works

1) install iTunes
    2) add music to it... you cannot import existing music (on your PC), unless its aac format. You can load your existing cd's to it of course.
    3) hit the play button...

Its nearly that simple, from what you said, it looks like you are expecting existing music to just play, not that easy...
    Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them, most of them are in parliament.

What? Did you INSTALL it??

Whats putting Itunes into any folder got to do with it??

Installing it then connecting an Ipod will get it to do something

I have had lots of trouble with itunes, mainly due to USB being a crock of Sh1t on vista. That and there is an update every time Mr Jobs changes his undies (they are a pair you see...).
    If you have more info about your install troubles let us know, as it helps to debug your issue.
    Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them, most of them are in parliament.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zcc View Post
    1) install iTunes
    2) add music to it... you cannot import existing music (on your PC), unless its aac format. You can load your existing cd's to it of course.
    3) hit the play button...
    You don't need to import the music as .aac, that is just the default iTunes format. You can import it as .mp3, .aac, .wav, .aiff or Apple lossless

AAC is just a better quality than MP3 at the same bit rate.

with itunes, mainly due to USB being a crock of Sh1t on vista. That and there is an update every time Mr Jobs changes his undies (they are a pair you see...).
    In that case the issue is more with your crappy USB on Vista (its all good on XP). Also if you don't want to install the updates everytime "Steve changes his undies" just turn off the UPDATE ALERT in preferences.
    Last edited by vitalstatistix; 23-03-2008 at 04:17 PM.

I stand corrected... vitalstatistix,

Even under XP I had/have trouble with upgrades-USB... its just the nature of Itunes, firewire is better.
    Update alerts are easy to ignore but after 3-4 of them its time to upgrade.

Its nearly that simple, from what you said, it looks like you are expecting existing music to just play, not that easy...
    What a load of rubbish - Learn to use the program.

When Itunes installs it you can tell it to look for any Music files on the PC, and import them.

You can also open Itunes and select File/ then either "Add File to Library" - thats if you want a single song, or File/ "Add Folder to Library" to import multi songs / folders.

When it locates the music you want it will convert it to play on Itunes.

By the way - Itunes plays fine on Vista - if it doesn't then I must be hearing things on the 4 Vista PC's here that play it perfectly.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 23-03-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Corrected yet again !
    my bad day or month.

I suppose sticking with one media player such as iTunes has led me down this narrow path to stupidity.
    But since I have all my music in one place and use my ipods all over the place and being an old bugga, I'll rest my case on that.

I do like iTunes, its great, but everytime I adjust my PC (new hard drive etc), I end up stuffing up my library and spend a day getting it back.
    Its been 6 months since my last disaster. All those backups do serve a purpose in the end.
    Last edited by zcc; 23-03-2008 at 07:08 PM.

One thing I do is make sure that NO one media player is the default - it can take over what you want to do.

What is a pain is when you purchase music and have to convert it to play on other players. For example if you purchase through Itunes the license is embedded and you need to " Fiddle" to get them to play on other players. Mind you Itunes (from memory) lets you have it on 5 allocated PC's at a time.

We have WMP, Itunes, Real Player, jet Audio, VLC Payer - and thats mainly the Audio players - then there's ( from memory) 3 or 4 DVD players added into the bunch.

All those backups do serve a purpose in the end.
    OHHHHHHH YEAH - it pays to do backups - its not till something happens and a person loses every thing they wish they had - its usually a case of "I'll get around to doing it one day", I see that all the time when fixing customers PC's.

The Original Poster -
    I have never been able to get iTunes working because I always get a message that "iTunes can not be found or created and is required. The default location is inside the Music folder"
    The Itunes music folder is by default put into the Music folder - but not the actual program. What OS are you using XP or Vista ?
    Last edited by wainuitech; 23-03-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Banned

Corrected yet again !
    my bad day or month.

I suppose sticking with one media player such as iTunes has led me down this narrow path to stupidity.
    iTunes had NOTHING to do with that. Not taking time to learn how to use it was your problem. There is always iTunes Help or help forums online such as this one when you get stuck.