Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    morgenmuffel

Default Beer Questions - Cleaning plastic bottles & Ginger beer taint brewing kit

When i drink my homebrew I rinse the bottle out straight away, however there is often a small amount of sediment which doesn't want to come out, and I don't really want to use hot soapy water on them, as the soap residue apparently does nasty things to beer and the hot water isn't great for those bottles, i have the proper cleaning stuff but it doesn't seem to remove the sediment, i also have a bottle brush but it struggles against the sediment, which is in the flanges? at the bottom of the bottle

I want to bre Ginger beer, however i have been told it will taint my kit, doesn't seem right to me, if the gear is cleaned correctly afterward, but i thought i'd ask
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Default Re: Beer Questions - Cleaning plastic bottles & Ginger beer taint brewing kit

Sorry to be sententious, but this reinforces the importance of doing a thorough rinse of bottles when you empty them, whilst the sediment is still wet and not adhered to the bottle.

Well, that is what works for me anyway - first pour your beer and then defer gratification of tasting the product until you have cleaned your bottle with a thorough clean hot water rinse that involves a whole lot of shaking going on.

Sorry about that, but 'a stitch in time saves nine'. R2x1 said something similar in your earlier thread on home brewing.

Now I don't know the answer to your question, but there were lots of experts answered your first thread.

What was your brew like by the way?

[Edit - I re-read your post and see that you did rinse, but wouldn't use hot water? Not sure why if you are using plastic or glass bottles - hot water never caused a problem with my bottles.]

morgenmuffel

Default Re: Beer Questions - Cleaning plastic bottles & Ginger beer taint brewing kit

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Sorry to be sententious, but this reinforces the importance of doing a thorough rinse of bottles when you empty them, whilst the sediment is still wet and not adhered to the bottle.

Well, that is what works for me anyway - first pour your beer and then defer gratification of tasting the product until you have cleaned your bottle with a thorough clean hot water rinse that involves a whole lot of shaking going on.

Sorry about that, but 'a stitch in time saves nine'. R2x1 said something similar in your earlier thread on home brewing.

Now I don't know the answer to your question, but there were lots of experts answered your first thread.

What was your brew like by the way?

[Edit - I re-read your post and see that you did rinse, but wouldn't use hot water? Not sure why if you are using plastic or glass bottles - hot water never caused a problem with my bottles.]
    I will use warm water but i have found that water that is too hot screws the plastic a bit, and warm water doesn't always remove the sediment

The brew was OK, i have to get another one going soon as My father is coming down later in the year
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Just fork out and get some swappa crates. So much easier than using plastic bottles. Also, ginger beer won't taint your equipment.

Why would he need "equipment" to brew ginger beer? We used to just brew it in the plastic bottles.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Why would he need "equipment" to brew ginger beer? We used to just brew it in the plastic bottles.
    beer brewing equipment probably does a better job of it.

Home made ginger beer is great. I might make some myself sometime.

morgenmuffel

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    beer brewing equipment probably does a better job of it.

Home made ginger beer is great. I might make some myself sometime.
    My brew in the bottle ginger beers have been lethal, You normally end up with a thumping headache within an hour of drinking it

Hi

An old trick with the old glass bottles was to put some very small stones in. Add about a cup full of water and shake around. Don't know if it will work for plastic bottles but worth a try. Try to get gravel type stones with sharp edges because these work best.

BURNZEE

A BAD DAY FISHIN' SURE BEATS THE CRAP OUTTA A GOOD DAY AT WORK!!

Buy a bottle brush from the $2 shop to shift the sediment. Wash in soapy water then rinse well. Sterilise before filling. Works for me.

Bit of baking soda in the bottle?
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."