Thread: Active-x

Default Active-x

Hi

Have an old PC at work used only for e-mail. Its a PC Company AMD 1200, running windows ME

It boots ok about 90 % of way. That is loads all the usual stukk up to the point where you enter User / Password box. (One user with no password)

Afterthat it only shows on desktop icons of My docunemts, recycle bin, IE and one other i carn't remember.

But there should be more than that but not loading. The Background screen is also not showing.

One the System tray all is normal but the Quick Launch try is empty.

Clicking "Start" done nothing.

I can do a Virus scan by right click Recycle and it does AGV scan and shows no Bugs.

Can get to the internet by Running CCleaner also from recycle and clicking online help. Can only get Microsoft.com site. All other sites Now ask for Cookies and when granted ony show bits of page and or goes into a loop.

Can get explorer up but can only see folders no files. When Clicking on Folder is says something like : Active-x does not have the required security to proceed"

Any Ideas, Can not run Anything to test more eg "Highjackhis"

Thanks in Advance

Default Re: Active-x

This does work in XP - but never tried on ME ---try starting the PC in safe mode and installing hijackthis from a pen drive if able, or floppy as it will fit 793.30 Kb.

Can you open Ccleaner - it does have a start up editor under Tools/Startup ?

Hi

Yes can run CCleaner, Tried to delete some old entries form startup menu and do s reg clean. but it gave now error messages and did not do anything.

Maybe its effected by the same problem.

Any other ideas? Can not do reinstall of windows as Install disks well and truely gone after 7 - 8 years

morgenmuffel

I might be missing something but did you try booting in safemode, and seeing if things work better there
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Not that familiar with ME - is there an option to enable boot logging (or the ME equivalent?) - we could check the log file for anything odd?

Got a natural pearl in my calloused hand
    ...Saved for the girl who could really understand
    ......What it takes to see
    .........The gold from the alchemy

Problem solved.

A bootME disk worked after changing some BIOS settings ( Boot from Floppy), then able to system restore from boot floppy.

Thanks for all your inputs