Default Wireless router problems

Hi all,

I have a Belkin 54g wireless router connected to 4 PCs (2 wired, 2 wireless - mainly connected simultaneously) and sometimes the internet goes 'down'. When down, I can ping the router (but not other machines), and access it's config panel via Firefox. To fi it, I reboot the router to start with. Usually after I do that, the internet is back on again. If it doesn't come on, I manually reset the logical LAN/WLAN connection in Network connections. And of that doesn't do it I unplug and replug the router. And even that sometimes doesn't do it.

Is there anything I can do to stop it cutting out like this? I get very annoyed with it when it does this, esp. if I'm YouTubing at the time or downloading a file.

Windows XP Home/Pro SP2
    "I would tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it."

Default Re: Wireless router problems

Does this happen on a regular basis (every hour or 45 mins eg) or when your using a lot of bandwidth for eg?
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

Mainly happens during the day when one person's home - the other morning it cut out (before anyone got up) and was out until I reset it.

<bump>

Are you using Static IP's on the PC's , or is the Router Issuing the Addresses to each machine.

If not using Static, try on the PC thats dropping the connection, setting it to static. When its connected click start/run type in CMD, then ipconfig What ever the IP address is at that time, set the PC to the static of that IP.

Also set your Firewall to allow the full range of the IP address from the router through.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 01-03-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Are you using Static IP's on the PC's , or is the Router Issuing the Addresses to each machine.

If not using Static, try on the PC thats dropping the connection, setting it to static. When its connected click start/run type in CMD, then ipconfig What ever the IP address is at that time, set the PC to the static of that IP.

Also set your Firewall to allow the full range of the IP address from the router through.
    I have not set up static IPs for each PC - router issues the address each time. If the connection's dropped, no computer can access the net. As yet, no single machine has dropped the connection while others can still get on to the net.

Also, if I set up simple file sharing on each machine, is it any less secure in terms of file security? (ie can someone from outside the LAN hack my PC any easier than if SFS was disabled)

Well the whole file sharing system does mean that if one computer is less protected than the other 3, then the FS means that they can easily get into the more secure but now vulnerable computers.

I wouldnt worry about it though. As long as all your computers have upto date AV and FW's installed and usage is careful (no P2P) etc then it'll be fine.

Or just have one computer for vulnerable activities and close it off to the other 3.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.