Default Dragon Naturally Speaking 9

Just a revisit to ask if anyone is using this program on a day to day basis, and how they are finding it.
    I've always been keen to try it, but have heard mixed reviews/experiences.
    And as it's not cheap, I want to know it's not a "try for a week and then forget it" type app.
    My problem is the PC is in the same room (small) as my sons XBox, so when he is playing Halo, am I going to have all the aaarrrgghhhsss, and other sounds of war inserted in my emails?!!!!!

Default Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking 9

Quote Originally Posted by Grimy View Post
    Just a revisit to ask if anyone is using this program on a day to day basis, and how they are finding it.
    I've always been keen to try it, but have heard mixed reviews/experiences.
    And as it's not cheap, I want to know it's not a "try for a week and then forget it" type app.
    My problem is the PC is in the same room (small) as my sons XBox, so when he is playing Halo, am I going to have all the aaarrrgghhhsss, and other sounds of war inserted in my emails?!!!!!
    Garbage in, garbage out. Invest in a good quality microphone/headset, preferably one with noise cancellation and digital sound processing with a USB connection

Personally I use the Windows Speech Recognition feature that is built in Windows Vista

I second that - Vista's speech recognition is as good as any I have tried. With the right headset it does not pick up the sort of background crap mentioned by Grimy.

While not the Windows version of Dragon Naturally Speaking, I saw a demo of MacSpeech Dictate which is based on the Dragon Naturally Speaking engine last month at Macworld Live and I thought it was pretty impressive. The most impressive part of the demo was when David Pogue (NY Times tech columnist) used the voice profile of the developer and it still worked perfectly, no errors what so ever.

Personally I don't think I'd use it all that much, but assuming Dragon Naturally Speaking for Windows is as accurate as MacSpeech Dictate I'm sure there are heaps of people out there who would find it a great product. Don't know how it compares to Windows Speech Recognition for general use, but for demos it certainly works a whole lot better.

I'm running XP. Is there a Windows program for that?

Banned

I will put a vote in for Vista's speech recognition as well. As good as speech recognition gets, none of which impresses me all that much.

I tried some of the early versions of Dragon and found them fairly useless. I saw a demo of Dragon 6 months ago and it did not seem to have improved. The chap doing the demo could not get it to work properly, which did nothing for him or the product, but improvement I saw none.

Speech recognition, it seems to me, has many light years to go. One of it's biggest problems is recognising different accents. Remember the old song, "I say "tomaytoe" you say "tomahtoe" etc. To get around that you have to get the programme to "learn" your voice. Be nice when you don't have to do that. It does not take too kindly to background noise either, it seems, and not too many have a quiet computer office.

Seem to spend more time correcting rather than achieving.

Best to stick to one finger typing, perhaps? Less frustrating.

My experience with Dragon is, It takes three times as long to edit and correct your dictation tnan it would have taken to type the thing manualy
    Jack GOF.

Vista's speech recognition is pretty good once it's trained. The problems are: it isn't customisable (i.e. running macros), it doesn't work in open office and it used about 20% of the CPU even when it's in standby.