Lv.1 Member

Default I'm desperate. Please help!! Vista/XP problem.

My laptop came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed and last week it completely messed up so I decided to install XP.

Now I can't boot into Vista (goes straight into XP) and because Vista was pre-installed I don't have any drivers for XP. I can't connect to the internet at all -- no wireless network available.

Please, does someone know how to fix it so I can boot back into Vista, or how I can set up my XP to connect to the internet?

I really don't know what to do. Please help!

Default Re: I'm desperate. Please help!! Vista/XP problem.

Microsofts way of fixing it or Here as well but you need a Vista DVD or try EasyBCD NOTE:Picture of setup of easyBCD in other link, just before the comments section, link to EasyBCD as well
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-02-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Lv.1 Member

Vista came pre-installed so I didn't even get a disc! The Disk to Disk recovery was completely useless. I'll try EasyBCD now, thank you.

This is the worst experience I've had with computers to date.

Quote Originally Posted by strifest View Post
    Vista came pre-installed so I didn't even get a disc! The Disk to Disk recovery was completely useless. I'll try EasyBCD now, thank you.

This is the worst experience I've had with computers to date.
    It is a bit of a panic moment when you try to dual boot Vista and XP depending on which way around you go about it. Once you get your bootloader sorted though you'll be sweet.

Also, if you're unable to get a recovery disc off your laptop after all this for whatever reason, the same people that made EasyBCD put the Windows Vista Recovery Disc up for download like last week (120MB). You can't do a fresh install using it (obviously) but can use it to recover (obviously, again).

I got a new HP Presario Notebook dual core Pentium last week.Before I had a chance to make backup discs the Vista Premium corrupted. Tried to restore by F11 at start up but nothing much happened. Installed XP but couldn't find any drivers. HP only had Vista drivers for this model. Formatted the partition and was about to take it to HP for reinstalling at a cost of $95. Tried the F11 one more time, as usual it got to a blank screen & stopped. Left it on and went to bed. In the morning Vista was reinstalled & hasn't missed a beat since! I have backed it up with Acronis now as the original backup only restores it to the shop installation.
    So boot it & press F11 as soon as the Bios has run, if it says loading windows files just leave it for a few hours, and just maybe you will succeed.
    Be sure to plug the charger in because it takes about 2 hours to restore.

Lv.1 Member

I tried EasyBCD - got an error when I tried to run it.

I went to the Acer support website and managed to get a lot of XP drivers unfortunately the webcam and touchpad still doesn't work. Also I can't get widescreen 1440x900 resolution for some reason even though I was sure it ran at widescreen in Vista.

I recently got a multifunction centre which doesn't work properly in Vista so I don't plan on using Vista unless I absolutely have to, but I'll still have to make it bootable.

I'm downloading the recovery disc now. I hope that'll get me back into Vista.

I kinda wished I bought a laptop with pre-installed XP Pro instead and it would've saved many hours of headache. I never imagined I'll run into so much trouble only 6 weeks after buying a new computer.

Lv.1 Member

I got EasyBCD working after installing .Net Framework and now dual boot is working after many hours.

Thanks everyone - you're lifesavers!