Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back up program

Default Back up program

Any recommendations for a free back up program?

Must be able to back up to a USB drive, and back up OE, IE Favourites and all other data.

Not looking for a drive imager....

Default Re: Back up program

Plenty Here to look at.

I tried the syncbackup trial a few years back, seemed to work OK from memory. They now have a free version as per the sites instructions.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Windows Backup, Will do what you want.

If it’s installed (which it isn’t in Win XP Home, by default), you can find it on the start menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools, look for backup.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204 View Post
    Windows Backup, Will do what you want.

If itís installed (which it isnít in Win XP Home, by default), you can find it on the start menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools, look for backup.

Hope this helps
    So can it be installed for XP Home? If so, how?

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSolidity View Post
    Normally Start, Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, Add remove Windows Components.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSolidity View Post
    Yes, it can, if you have a Windows XP pro disk ( maybe even the Win XP Home disk may even have it), just browser the disk for a folder that has backup in the name & then you can install it.

If you donít have a Win XP Pro disk, let me know & I should be able to give you the installer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Normally Start, Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, Add remove Windows Components.
    You could try it that way, but I think you will need your windows disk.

Thanks guys for the advice. I couldn't install through the add/remove function but did a search and found that you had to do this using your XP cd:

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and, if necessary, double-click the CD icon in My Computer.

2. On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click Perform Additional Tasks.

3. Click Browse this CD.

4. In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and then Ntbackup.

5.Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.

It now works

Unless they have changed it, the problem with Windows Back up is it makes a file that cant be read normally.
    EG: if you simply want to read a certain file from your backup, you cant, you need to replace the whole backed up data. If you have the backups on cd/USB/ what ever and want to read them from another PC - forget it.

One program I also use, and have done for years is Handybackup - its not free, (there is a trial) but its only $30.00 US , and you can back up to any media , take the Media with you and read / replace any file or folder from any PC.

I use MicroSoft's SyncToy back up program (that someone here had recommended). I had to install MS Net. Framework (? a name something like that) first to get it to run, but it is easy and fast.
    I have an external hard drive permanently connected to the PC and do a back up every night (takes less than a minute to back up any changes I've done during the day), and another external drive that I connect once a week and do another back up. That way even if the PC's HD and the 1st Ext HD fails together, I'll have most stuff backed up on the 2nd HD.
    Okay, so I'm paranoid! But it only takes a near miss to make you realize you don't ever, ever, ever want to lose your stuff.
    I haven't gone as far as getting an imaging program , but that's coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimy View Post
    I use MicroSoft's SyncToy back up program (that someone here had recommended). I had to install MS Net. Framework (? a name something like that) first to get it to run, but it is easy and fast.
    I have an external hard drive permanently connected to the PC and do a back up every night (takes less than a minute to back up any changes I've done during the day), and another external drive that I connect once a week and do another back up. That way even if the PC's HD and the 1st Ext HD fails together, I'll have most stuff backed up on the 2nd HD.
    Okay, so I'm paranoid! But it only takes a near miss to make you realize you don't ever, ever, ever want to lose your stuff.
    I haven't gone as far as getting an imaging program , but that's coming!
    Forgot about that one from MS Its good also. Download Here

Grimy - Paranoid - NOPE better safe than sorry at least you are covered. I do two backups daily, all automated to two servers- One using the Handybackup for day to day stuff, and one full to WHS - in fact had a drive go belly up yesterday - (insert language said unprintable here) complete recovery in 25 minutes to new drive from WHS. lost nothing - phew
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-01-2008 at 10:31 AM.