Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any wireless networking experts here?

Hi,

I need to connect my laptop to my desktop via an Excell Wireless Access Point and a nine port ethernet hub. Both computers are running Windows XP Service Pack 2, and the laptop has a wireless adapter card.

The only instructions I have are as follows:

"you have to set your computer to 192.168.1.X and then connect it to the
    access point and use your browser to administor it on 192.168.1.100.
    "

What I need is someone who can translate that into some step by step instructions.

For instance, by "set your computer", does the guy mean I have to type that IP address into my browser? Into the network places dialogue? What? And what about the X ...?

Anyway, sorry if this seems like a no-brainer to you, I guess I'm the one with no brains.

Any help - particularly of the "first do this, then do this" type - would be much appreciated.

Joe Davies

Default Re: Any wireless networking experts here?

If you go to my network places (if the icon is on the desktop).

View network connections, select the wireless adapter here / right mouse / properties / TCP/IP / General tab.

I think he's talking about here.

Change it to use the following ip.

Type in 192.168.1.x (this depends on WHAT the valid ip addresses are for the Access point).

If its 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100, the X can be anything between 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100. So you could type in 192.168.1.2

And under default gateway, type in 192.168.1.100 (or whatever the default ip address is for the Access Point).

And whatever computer, the Access point is connected to, you type 192.168.1.100 in Internet Explorer to log into the Access point's configuration (I take it its got one). I dont know what the default password is, it should be in the manual.

So, you can configure it between the Access point and the computer's wireless adapter.

Did the wireless adapter on the computer come with drivers?? And can you configure it by using the drivers??

You may have to use the Wireless Network Wizard in control panel.

And if both support encryption (WPA or better), enable it on both. Both will need keys.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 22-11-2007 at 07:55 PM.

Sorry to have taken so long to check this out. My computer blew up in the meantime ...

Speedy, when I view network connections as per your helpful instructions above, the WAP doesn't appear.

I have it plugged into an ethernet hub (which seems to be working as my cable modem is also plugged into it), but there is nothing in my connections list.

Any advice?

Joe Davies

Well, the only place (If youre using WPA - I think this is what you meant by WAP?) is in the Wireless network setup wizard.

Other than that, the AP should have the option., in its config.

Dont know what u can do, if the drivers for whatever hasnt got the WPA / encryption in its config.

You'll have to use the Wireless network setup wizard to configure it.

Why connect it with ethernet, if you're going to use wireless?

Use one or the other.

The main thing with wireless is:

The adapters should have the same SSID, and hopefully be on the same channel. And have the same workgroup name.

And encrypted with the same key, and WEP/WPA or whatever.

And under the Wireless adapter properties, whats it on now?? On auto, or have u put the ip addresses in manually?

You'll also have to configure whatever firewall (if its not XP's firewall).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Davies View Post
    Sorry to have taken so long to check this out. My computer blew up in the meantime ...

Speedy, when I view network connections as per your helpful instructions above, the WAP doesn't appear.

I have it plugged into an ethernet hub (which seems to be working as my cable modem is also plugged into it), but there is nothing in my connections list.

Any advice?

Joe Davies
    Open up webbrowser( internet explorer). type the ip address in your address bar, this should bring up your AP configuration page
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Thanks.

I just get "connection timed out" when I type in the IP number.

The reason I have the Wireless Access Point (WAP) plugged into an ethernet hub is that my PC has no wireless adapter card.

I thought if I had a WAP was to avoid having to buy one.

I guess I'm showing my ignorance, but do I still need a wireless network adapter for my PC? And if I get one, do I still need the WAP?

Joe Davies

Hmm, does the WAP have ethernet ports on it??

If it does, u could try plugging the WAP into the port on the desktop, then plug the hub into that. Do you need the hub anyway?

Create a folder on the desktop and laptop. Call it anything. And share it.

Make sure file sharing is enabled on both.

This will save you typing in an ip. If you want to access either.

WHAT exactly do you want to share anyway??

Just a folder on both? If so, do the above.

Thanks Speedy,

You have the patience of a saint!

Yep, the WAP has an ethernet port, and I'm running an RJ-45 cable from there to my ethernet hub.

My ethernet hub is connected to the ethernet card on my desktop PC, also via RJ-45 cable.

The cable modem is also connected to the hub (you guessed it, via RJ-45 cable).

Should work all right, no?

What I'm trying to share is the internet connection (ie cable modem). I want to get on the internet through both my laptop and my PC (not necessarily at the same time - although that would be nice - but at least without having to change cables).

At present I can access the internet on my desktop or, if I switch cables, from my laptop, but not both - not without switching cables.

The Wireless Access Point is just sitting there and doesn't seem to be doing anything useful! Can't see it in either computer.

I'll try what you suggested and report back.

Appreciate your time.

Joe Davies

Hi again,

I can't plug the Wireless Access Point into the desktop PC's network card direct, since then I have nowhere to plug in my hub (there's only one socket in the WAP). And since I want to share the internet connection, that means I have no modem.

Hmmmm ...

Maybe I'll just have to get a wireless network adaptor for the desktop?

Joe Davies

You could get a wireless adapter, but depending on how far apart these things are, you may not get far without some kind of access point.

Unless you get a wireless adapter that also acts as an AP.

Actually I would biff all of that and get a wireless modem/router.

Which will give u 4 ports and wireless, and it'll have an AP built in.