Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default When is a Dell not a Dell???

Hello,

I have finally upgraded from my Dell with integrated celeron graphics with a new motherboard & CPU etc.

No in the past, if something was funny with my Dell I could just reinstall windows using the CD they gave me. But I just realized, I dont think I can do that now. The Dell CD says "only for use on a dell computer".

Now of course the first question is - will it think its not a dell now?

Second question - How on earth do I reinstall windows XP.....which I may want to do as the thing has started running slowly.

I dont have to buy Windows do I?? Because I feel like I already own it from when I bought the PC in the first place!!!!

Happy 2008 by the way........

Default Re: When is a Dell not a Dell???

Youre right, the cd is only for what was on it originally.

You'll have to buy another CD. If you format again. Then you'll have to download the drivers etc, for the new mobo. From whatever site.

The cd would have the drivers etc for what was on it originally. And if you've changed the mobo, it'll know its different. So wont work.

Thanks for the bad new ha ha....

I hope they still sell XP but it sucks having to pay for it!!!!

Not necessarily...check what it says on the CD. Some of the earlier Dell CDs, have one standard "XP Sp1 disc", which doesn't seem to be tied to anything, even though it says "only for use with a Dell PC", and then other driver, software discs etc. You can't use the drivers and software, but hopfully the XP disc will be all good, if it's a Pre SP2 disc, put all the windows updates on too.

As long as you have the COA (Xp Product code), you should still be able to use the same disc.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

There is a way that sometimes works without a XP CD, ( completely legal as well) BUT you have to have XP installed on the PC and working to start with AND you need to look for the I386 Folder if its there.

This will reinstall XP from the existing Machine - works most of the time.
    call back if you want instructions.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

This is what I do in these situations.

Its not the CD itself thats important - its the COA stuck on your case.

Borrow a CD, install Windows using the neumber on your case.

Do the drivers for the new hardware etc. Install whatever apps you want, configure everything and then when its all done to your satisfaction use Ghost, Acronis or Paragon to create a new image of your system.

This can be stored on DVD, another drive, another partition or at least with Paragon - you can create a Recovery partition like Compaqs etc have.

Thanks PCTech but that sounds a little to advanced for me at the current point in time.

My Dell windows CD is indeed Service Pack 1 but says "only for use with a Dell Machine". I dont know if it enforces this itself or not. Its an old Dell Dimension 2200 (totally bottom of the line for a few years ago)

My problem is that my PC is running really really slowly with the new motherboard all of a sudden when it should be running like a greased pig next to my old integrated graphics celeron. My virus checker & spybot, adawares state Im clean.

I suspect my Hard disk is failing but I dont know if a simple reinstall will do the fix.....

Im thinking about getting a 160gig Sata drive if my disk is failing.

So at the end of the day I am needing to reinstall windows.......XP costs $160 odd and is being phased out sometime by Microsoft, Im not quite ready for Vista although my pooter can theoretically run it.

I am skilled enough to reinstall XP from a purpose built disk....

Quote Originally Posted by RusEvo View Post
    Thanks PCTech but that sounds a little to advanced for me at the current point in time.

My Dell windows CD is indeed Service Pack 1 but says "only for use with a Dell Machine". I dont know if it enforces this itself or not. Its an old Dell Dimension 2200 (totally bottom of the line for a few years ago)

My problem is that my PC is running really really slowly with the new motherboard all of a sudden when it should be running like a greased pig next to my old integrated graphics celeron. My virus checker & spybot, adawares state Im clean.

I suspect my Hard disk is failing but I dont know if a simple reinstall will do the fix.....

Im thinking about getting a 160gig Sata drive if my disk is failing.

So at the end of the day I am needing to reinstall windows.......XP costs $160 odd and is being phased out sometime by Microsoft, Im not quite ready for Vista although my pooter can theoretically run it.

I am skilled enough to reinstall XP from a purpose built disk....
    You should contact microsoft. Tell them you have updated you motherboard etc, and see if that is ok.

FYI Guys...I have just been googling around and have found the following:

1, There are people on the internet who swear blind that Dell XP cannot at all be used with a new mobo & that people like me are stuck.

2, There are people on the internet who say that Dell PCs are great because there is little or no problem in getting Dells XP to work with new mobos (just the CD key which I think lives on a sticker on the back of the PC).

So on balance I think its worth a try.....especially if I just decide to get that 160gig HD.

I cant belive that so many people say the exact opposite on the issue.

Sorry RobbyP I was typing as you replied.

Interesting question is....how would microsoft know who I am??

Its been a while since buying the original....I think all I have is the rego numbers etc on the case & the reinstall windows disk.