Default Major malfunction....

Hi all,
    I have what would appear to be a major problem. Midway through playing online SOF2 my computer froze...no problem, Ill just kick it in the guts again and reboot...problem 1: it never got past the boot screen...so I rebooted; problem 2: it never got past the boot screen...so I rebooted; problem 3...anyway you get the jist. It did eventually reboot after entering setup at the boot screen, and although it took me a couple of tries from the boot screen, I finally logged on. Now this is where it gets bad. I was only logged on for 2 mins before it locked up again, after rebooting all I got was ...nothing...black nothing....apart from my monitor telling me there was no 'Signal Input'. I've re tried at least a dozen times since last night but nothing appears on the monitor.
    I checked my connections and have even taken the cover off to do a visual check on the internals, which appear to look normal....So yeah...if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    Oh yeah, I'm running XP if thats any help.
    thanks in advance
    Ron

Default Re: Major malfunction....

The first step would be to try and establish wether it's a hardware or software issue ( sounds like hardware but you can never be sure.. )

Booting of a CD would be a good start, something like a linux live cd to confirm everything appears to be working. Another good Idea might be to try a memory test - also from a boot cd.

On to hardware, does the pc beep on startup?, is it displaying the bios or graphics cards screens? does it get to starting windows xp?.

It may get to the point where you remove everything non-essential and try a process of elimination. Try RAM chips individually if you have more than one, disconnect uneeded drives, remove any disks from drives, remove any cards you don't need to boot-up etc

Or if your BIOS is working see if it has a HDD diagnostics test. Run that if you can. Then from there you should be able to disable different components, CD drives etc. and see if that helps. Some BIOS' are more helpful than others in this regard. Otherwise as dugimodo said, bootdiscs and trial and error hardware checking. GL

Booting of a CD would be a good start, something like a linux live cd to confirm everything appears to be working. Another good Idea might be to try a memory test - also from a boot cd.
    Live CD's will test if the Hardware is at fault - good Suggestion from dugimodo, what you can also do ias a quick test is see if it will boot into safe mode, keep pressing F8 on start up. then select Safe Mode. If it wont run in safe mode, then the Live CD should tell you one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebananamonkey View Post
    Or if your BIOS is working see if it has a HDD diagnostics test.
    If the BIOS wasnt working it'll be dead as a dodo.

You wouldnt be doing anything.

The BIOS doesnt have a hdd diagnostic test. All it'll tell u is, whether it detects it or not.

Download UBCD, do a HDD and memory diagnostic. FIRST. If HDD test comes back faulty, back up data imeadietley, or take it to a tech.

My first guess would be the HDD.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."