Default McAfee Active Shield

McAfee Active shield working fine until a week ago. It automatically goes on line and checks for updates and new viruses and invites me to update. Now the update process stalls after first seconds and blames my browser settings - IE 5.5 installed from PCWorld disk today made no difference. I also tried using their online scan service which was operating well last time I used it. It fails too.
    What next?

Default Re: McAfee Active Shield

you could try the mcafee experts at the following addresses if all else fails.

Nai_Support
    E-mail Address
    Nai_Support@supportgroup.com.au

McAFEE antivirus E-mail Address
    support@supportgroup.com.au

Had similar problem, suggest find your current McAfee details re Scan engine, virus definitions etc then go to http:http://www.mcafee-at-home.com/naicom...ad/updates.asp
    and download appropriate update & instal. Bit of a bind having to manually update every week but better safe than sorry. Frank.

We use McAfeeClinic and Active Shield. This sounds like the one you are refering to. It is set to check for updates daily. Sometimes these updates stall and wont install giving an error message.
    If you try again the next day they usually work fine...seems to be just Net congestion.
    You will also find that programs working in the background..such as Zone alarm..prevent the dat. files installing. You might need to shut this down first. Also excessive Browser activity like an on-line game or chatroom being used at the time of downloading and installing the files can cause problems.
    We have used McAfee Clinic for 18months now and think it's great.

Thanks to all three respondents. I have chucked the program in disgust after five days of no updates and no scans. Did have Zone Alarm on first couple of times but worked my way through shutting down various things including it and still no joy.
    Back to Virus Scan V.5 for safety! and 70 dollars wasted.