Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: humidity

Default humidity

We have just been visited by a salesman for one of those firms who install a fan and ducting in the roof to use the clean warm air up there to reduce the humidity in the house and thereby make the place warmer. I noticed that the system appeared to have no drainage or collection system for the water it was to extract.

I decided to check on them but after he had gone could not remember the name of the company (advertises a lot on TV) so "googled" for humidity control in houses. To my surprise got several American contacts who stressed the health dangers of low humidity and their humidifiers were designed to increase the humidity of the air and thereby make the place warmer.

None of the sites I visited were to lower the humidity.
    Now I am a bit puzzled because 60 years ago I remember we used to place a bowl of water in front of our heaters (particularly gas) to improve the humidity, but yet this year we bought a dehumidifier to get rid of dampness.
    OK what is right - please anybody who knows something about the subject or has got the system installed, give us the benefit of your knowledge.
    Tom

Default Re: humidity

Was it a HRV or DVS?
    Too Stupid to Understand Science? Try Religion.

Either way, Its a crock of cow poo.

If you really want the air in your roof space in your house, saw a hole in the ceiling the size of a football, and mount a fan.

Cost- Lest then $20

And far more efficiant.
    better Dredd then dead

I know somebody whose landlord installed a DVS system and it worked wonders for the flat - but it was an extraordinarily damp place with mildew on the passageway walls and in the bedrooms etc beforehand. Which made me think that there was something fundamentally wrong with the building that the DVS system was just covering up.
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Insulating the ceiling of your home, then bypassing the insulation by blowing air between the roof space and the people space is a bit like buying tickets for the swings and the roundabouts, just so you can sit on the lawn.

But, if it makes you feel good, at least you know the advertising works.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

We have DVS. It works great. It only has two vents, maybe it should have more i don't know it was already installed in the house when we bought it.

Particularly in winter if you shut a door to a room then the window in that room is covered in moisture in the morning. With all doors open there is not a window in the house with a drop of moisture no matter how cold it gets.

In our last house our lounge used to have moisture on the windows most mornings and the curtains all went mouldy in about 6-7 years. I doubt we have any worries about mouldy curtains with the DVS.

The downside is it dries all house plants out quickly.

Way better than a Dehumidifier we had in another house.

In my opinion DVS is great.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas01 View Post
    We have just been visited by a salesman for one of those firms who install a fan and ducting in the roof to use the clean warm air up there to reduce the humidity in the house and thereby make the place warmer.
    Its probably that lot that have been on Fair Go lately.

Quote Originally Posted by radium View Post
    Was it a HRV or DVS?
    Now I remember. It is HRV whereas the one on Fair Go was DVS and even then I think they were the victims of a ruthless operator rather than DVS themselves.
    I still have reservations about the idea of the system but my wife hates steamed up windows.
    The salesman did produce letters complementing them on the installation and to my surprise the letters had the addresses on them!
    So not a typical scam.

I must admit the idea of a football sized hole in the ceiling and a cheap fan appeals.
    But the HRV system has an outlet for each room (4 outlets for us), ducting to feed them, a filter system and fairly sophisticated control system. So all in all not too bad for the price really which was somewhat over $2000.00

But I really cannot see how it can remove moisture if there is no drainage system or even a bucket to catch the moisture.
    Anyway the Americans seem to think removing moisture is the wrong thing to do.
    Still very puzzled.
    Tom

I believe that by circulating the air it dilutes the water content.

You could always open a window.....
    better Dredd then dead

Although I already have DVS if I didn't I would not on principle. The HRV Telemarketers drive me nuts with their constant phone calls. I have requested several times for them to remove my number but they never do.

DVS Works great for me and their backup is great. I call them when I want a replacement filter and it is normally here the following day. Simple to replace.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock