morgenmuffel

Default Vista - Encrypting File System, backup your file enc cert and key

Vista -
    Encrypting File System, backup your file encryption certificate and key

This has just started appearing on my machine

When i click on the "backup now" (recommended option),
    i get taken to the certificate export wizard,
    when i click next on this Wizard,
    I am taken to the export file format screen, when i click nex..

it asks for me to enter a password to protect this key, once i have done that and pressed next
    it asks me for the file i want to export, the only problem is i have no idea what it is on about,
    What file am i supposed to be backing up?
    Where do i find this file?

Help
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Default Re: Vista - Encrypting File System, backup your file enc cert and key

which method did you choose?
    Complete PC backup or the others
    __..)/.._____________..)/..___
    /(/(
    ---------> timmy101 <---------
    __..)/.._____________..)/..___
    /(/(

morgenmuffel

neither, it just popped up today
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Did you at some stage ( even playing with Vista) tell it to encrypt any data ? I have had Ultimate on 1 PC since Feb when it first went OEM and have never had a message

What I think its asking is to back up any encryption certificates or encrypted files/passwords you have in case of a reinstall or you need them at some stage. IF you have never encrypted anything then personally I'd tell it to go away (if you have that option). This article here may shred some light on the message.

The reason for backups is simple - the encryption is very strong - in fact one of Microsofts road shows I attended we were told by MS Technicians there is no back door into these locked files, not like MS used to have some sort of work around in XP.
    If the password which can be on a encoded USB drive, meaning you need that drive to unlock the files is lost or forgotten and you cant put in the code - you're screwed. Thats MS's words not mine
    Last edited by wainuitech; 05-12-2007 at 07:21 PM.

morgenmuffel

Thanks for that i followed the instructions and backed up my key

The counter-intuitive part for me was that i assumed i was looking for a file in the part where you enter a filename, i didn't realise you had to create one

oh well hopefully that annoying message will go away

Pedant and proud of it

Make sure you don't forget the password you entered. Write it down, and make sure you can find the piece of paper. Don't save it in a file on the computer. If you need the password, and all your files are encrypted, you might have difficulty getting it without the password.