Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can't print to network printer

I'm using Windows XP Professional.

I've deleted this printer, added a new printer, reloaded everything but still doesn't print.

I've also checked the Printer's port setting, ticked the LPR option with the Queue Name as "lp" - I've copied everything identical to the settings on the main office computer but, still to no avail.

I've also unplugged the router, tunred the main office computer off, laptop, printer off, then re-started everything, BUT, still no printing....

assuming the network is correctly configured...
    Try running the setup again for the printer (uninstall it first)
    Many network printers Setup CD search the network for you & configure the drivers to match what it finds.

Also some printer setup CD's use a MAC adress rather than a static IP for
    the printer (in case the printer is set to 'dhcp'), the setup will find this for you.

Try plugging directly onto the printer via USB or printer cable , reconfigure
    the driver & then see if you can print. Do a 'config printout' from the printer
    to give staus , IP etc.

Try disabling firewalls (Norton, Zonealarm etc) temporarily.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

When I need to add a new LAN'd printer, I just turn off the tower to which I want to physically install the printer first..............

.......... and after a fresh reboot, then I shut down again and plug the printer in and reboot again.

The wizard finds it every time and does his thing and when I get the printer all installed on the puter to which it is hardwired, I goto the properties and "Open sharing" with it.

Just be sure that the newest installation has the default printer set correctly!

It works each and every time.

Maybe that's not your problem if you're talking wireless here then I don't know what I'm talking about.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Did you reset the job handling passwords The user details are in a tab I think in Printing Prefs > job Handling
    If you have user control - make sure the user numbers / names actually match what they are meant to be.

Try a default of 00000 if unsure. If the user numbers / names dont match then the printer refuses to print, the PC sends the print job - it goes through the motions but nothing happens.
    If these are wrong then the printer wont accept any jobs. The user numbers usually show as 5 dots only, and it wont matter how many times you reinstall the printer it still wont work unless the numbers / password is correct.

About the only other thing I can thinkof is a firewall is stopping the print spooler.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 05-12-2007 at 12:26 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks everyone especially wainuitech. The issue was indeed with the "Job Control" function under Printing Reference which I never really had to use in the past, I used to press Print and out it goes. After phoning and talked to a Sharp's technician I had to put in an allocated number to show how many copies I've printed from my laptop. So it's all going fine now, my laptop and printer will have a merry christmas now! Many thanks to everyone and your contributions I've learnt a lot in the last 4 days.