Default PC refuses to boot

Hi,

Ok my problem is that my computer refuses to boot, my screen stays in standby mode and I can see all the computers fans spinning like normal, but I don't get the normal "beep" as the bios starts.

The power on button doesn't turn the computer off anymore, but when I push the reset button the computer's fans do change RPM for a second.

I installed a new graphics card around the start of November and in some of my games (EVE online and Cricket 2007) the screen goes all fuzzy and distorted for a few seconds then goes back to normal, where as in other games like BMW M3 Challenge I have no problems.

What I was doing just before the problem is this: I was bumping up the graphics settings in Farcry and everything was fine for a few mins until suddenly my screen went to "no input" and I had to do a hard restart of the computer. It was fine in windows for a few mins so I got into farcry again and the same "No input" thing happened after a bit, I restarted and tried a 3rd time, got the same problem, so I went in the 4th time hoping I could lower the graphics settings incase that was it and the "no input" thing came up for the 4th time and this time the computer wouldn't restart and this is where I am now.

I did a memtest86+ test a few weeks ago and my ram showed up with multiple errors.

I'm guessing my problem is my graphics card is faulty (can't find my warranty information!!!), or that my memory stick is has died, or that my bios needs are reset.

Any help?

P.S. The HDD light also stays on for the first 1-2 mins after I the machine starts to turn on

[EDIT]

Windows XP SP2
    Sempron 1.8ghz 3000+ s754
    1 x 1024mb DDR 400 GeIL
    MSI 7900gs 512mb PCI-E
    1 x 80gb Seagate Sata1 (has OS on it)
    1 x 320gb Seagate Sata2
    1 x 15gb Maxtor IDE from years ago
    Last edited by Faded_Mantis; 05-12-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Default Re: PC refuses to boot

hey mate, it could be the ram is faulty or graphic card. But if your graphic card was faulty, it should be at least able to boot. I can see that you are using 1 stick of 1G ram, if you had 2 stick of 512, you could've pull one ram out to check if it wasn't a faulty ram. Do you have any other DDr400 ram?

You appear to have answered your own question in the post
    I did a memtest86+ test a few weeks ago and my ram showed up with multiple errors.
    That tells you the rams faulty
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

lol it does seem rather obvious........it's the first thing i'd replace
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

I've managed to get hold of some ram to put in place of mine to see if that is the problem.

I didn't want to jump to conclusions since I thought you lot may know better, the ram had been faulty for a while that's why I thought this may have been something else.

Thanks for the help I'll let you know if the borrowed ram helps.

I tested it with another piece of RAM and it still wouldn't boot, I looked around for my old vid card, found it, put it in and it works now.

Starting to wish I didn't buy my new card off trade me (it was new but bleh).

Now I need a new vid card