Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default protecting jpg file from being downloaded

I'm creating an html email and want to include the signature of our managing partner (so it looks like a letter - you know the drill).

He's concerned that people can just right click and save the jpg of his signature and use it willy nilly.

Is there some way to protect images from this happening? I've done some googling and it looks like you can disable right clicks on images - but also lots of people saying, no don't do it like that! So I'm all confused...

Anyone have any ideas/experience of this?

Cheers
    S

Default Re: protecting jpg file from being downloaded

No right click will stop the basic users from getting it.

Just google no right click it will show you how to enable that.
    You COULD insert it into a Flash swf file that makes it a little harder, but still not hard to get.

If someone really wants the picture it is simple to download even with no right click enabled. As soon as someone views the page the image is in their cache.
    Last edited by Bantu; 03-12-2007 at 10:51 AM.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock

If you can see it you can find a way to save it. How much trouble has His Exultedness had with people scanning his signature from paper letters? If he's important enough someone usually just p.p's on his behalf

An example of it is here

Try right mouse on this site, and look at the source.

It seems to work in FF and IE.

But there's probably still some way of getting the pics.

Other sites say to watermark it.

Thanks guys

I think I'll just argue the fact with him that his signature is out there in paper & pdf form already. The right click disabled site is quite annoying isn't it? Darn pop ups.

Cheers for speedy advice as usual

Speedy although the source code on that one looked fancy it still dumped the images into the Temporary Internet Files from IE. I copied them to another dir from there and got full view of all images.

Normally if I enable no right click I also prevent the source code from being viewed as well, but it still does not stop everything going into your PC Cache/Temp Internet Files in this case.
    Last edited by Bantu; 03-12-2007 at 11:21 AM.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

Also, anything that can be viewed on screen can be captured via Print Screen... So if the signature is readable, then no matter what you do with the source code and original image, it is still able to be captured by Print Screen...
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

An option if the boss is moderately exulted is for him to have a different 'web' signature to his real 'legal' one... ie he could leave out/Add in his middle initial so if someone tried to copy his sig to a 'real' document there would be come-back and a quick way to tell the difference. It's a bit like the difference between HH and HRH or MR Phone and MR iPhoney
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

If you want to add a picture of a signature to a emails you send to people then you have to accept that people could copy it. Having said this, the damage they could do with a signature you scanned and sent with each email would be no more than they could do from a scan of a signed letter you sent them in the physical post.

Your boss may be interested to know that there are real, secure systems of digital signatures. The two main systems are PGP and S/MIME. In the physical world a squiggle on a bit of paper is fairly good at identifying people because it's difficult to duplicate plausibly. In the digital world you have to use cryptography to achieve the same security because duplication of anything is free.

Digital signatures are surprisingly easy to use. Every email I send has one, allowing the person on the other end to detect most forms of attack.

P.S. I hate right-click blocking. Whenever I find a site that does this I don't even bother to read it before closing the tab.
    Why use a simple solution when a complicated one will suffice?

You can block right-click on that image only by setting it as the background image in a div, but as has been said above this stops nothing. If you are after effect, get your boss to do a different sig for the web. If you are after secure, use a digital PKI signature (PGP or similar).
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.