Default Fishing baits (surf casting)

Taking up surf casting as a second hobby. Haven't fished in years (since I was a kid) and back then I only did trout fishing (lived in different geographical area back then)
    Have loaned an older 14' rig (might buy it yet, the owner is keen) and will be having a go this weekend sometime. Looking to catch kahawai, though more than likely herring will be catch of the day.
    What sort of baits have people tried and got great results from? I've heard bacon rind is good. Just wondering of other not so usual baits that work.

Since I'm near a river mouth, will be doing mainly bait fishing, though may get some spinning in (on the river) as well

One other thing while I remember, are there legal sizes on these fish? I don't intend to catch bait, if possible supplement the family dinner table
    Last edited by Myth; 30-11-2007 at 05:09 AM.
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Default Re: Fishing baits (surf casting)

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Taking up surf casting as a second hobby. Haven't fished in years (since I was a kid) and back then I only did trout fishing (lived in different geographical area back then)
    Have loaned an older 14' rig (might buy it yet, the owner is keen) and will be having a go this weekend sometime. Looking to catch kahawai, though more than likely herring will be catch of the day.
    What sort of baits have people tried and got great results from? I've heard bacon rind is good. Just wondering of other not so usual baits that work.

Since I'm near a river mouth, will be doing mainly bait fishing, though may get some spinning in (on the river) as well

One other thing while I remember, are there legal sizes on these fish? I don't intend to catch bait, if possible supplement the family dinner table
    If you intentionally want herring, I've found Lamb Fry (liver) works really well. It doesn't hold up well so may not be suitable for surfcasting, but fishing off a wharf or similar structure works well - used to catch 20-25cm sized herring using it, if the tides and weather were right.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

I never use "food" in any form when fishing.

I always use lures...and surf fishing is no exception.

Try a Tady or Kastmasters in the surf line for some really good action.

I like to stay with the blue/chrome or blue/white color combos, as these are visible to the fish in murky waters as well as clear.

I also like to use UFOs and Skampi split tails on a peahead.

Sometimes, I like a big chrome Rattl-Trap..but jerk it madly and hold on to your pole!

I like to use a really big Rebel or Rapala surface-type lure too. Make them "walk the dog" and generally splash around a lot.

I consider fishing an activity, not a past-time. I don't carry a boom box, an umbrella or a lawn/beach chair to sit on while I drown some worms.

I cast-n-retrieve constantly, moving a little to the left or right, all the time working a "W" pattern by alternately casting to the left, then right, then center.

The best rig for surf is a 16' surf pole with a Shimano 4000-Series spinning reel. I use 15lb or 12lb Stren or Izor line, clear or blue mono, and no leader. Tie on directly with a Palomar knot and that keeps the lure action good.

A really strange lure combo is a double-diamond with a Trojan condom on it. OK..sounds nutty..but the fish think it's a squid and they go crazy for it.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Haven't fished for nearly 30 years since an accident that stopped me from casting a line, but my thoughts on what I used to use for bait are...

Pilchards, pilchards, pilchards. Plus a little bit of orange crayfish shell to confuse the schnapper. Used to work well.

Weather and tides play a big part. Before a storm is a great time. I have got my best catches that way, at Whangamata I got 6 good schnapper in an hour just after dawn when conditions were borderline. Ranged from 3lb to 10lb. Flat Rock at Muriwai in the late '60's - a 12lb schnapper when we had ropes around our waists tied to pitons in the rock to stop being washed away.

Great fun in the days before the coasts were raped!!!!

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Looking to catch kahawai, though more than likely herring will be catch of the day.
    Wish I could get some fresh herring - never seen it in the supermarkets. I'd love to pickle and/or salt some at home. Sadly I'm not a fisherman.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Yes there are legal limits on fish size and numbers of which types of fish you can catch. Read here.
    http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Recreational/default.htm
    I have found trevally to be a good bait.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD