Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Cool Let's Match Indigenous Animals

I want to see what we have in common and not-so-common in the local animals.

I know that NZ has some rather interesting ones..but let's try to match up their counterparts with the US brands. Try to find the same type of animal for each US/NZ version. If one doesn't exist, say so.

Submit pictures if you have any..especially pixs you personally have of the animal. Bite and claw marks on your personal body from any of the animals you post will be extra points. House cat and dog/parakeet bites do not count.

Tropical fish bites MAY be of great value if you survived the bite of a Moray Eel or Sea Snake.

Great White bites/scars are high points in the scoring more if you actually survived..

A couple of rules:

1. They must be your scars
    2. No substitutions.

Do it one at a time and let's see where this goes.

I start:

Mountain Lion
    (Cougar, Golden Panther, Puma, California Golden Cougar, Mountain Screamer)

A large cat that can grow to 150lbs/68kg, (the male) and very territorial.
    LINK w/pix

We have these in my neighborhood and I see them once in a while.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Default Re: Let's Match Indigenous Animals

Can we include animals that are in our zoos?

If not, then how "local" do they need to be? Down here over 95% of our fauna have been introduced during the last century or two.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX View Post
    Can we include animals that are in our zoos?

If not, then how "local" do they need to be? Down here over 95% of our fauna have been introduced during the last century or two.
    I think we oughtta discount any imports in the zoos.
    I would instead like to see animals that you might run into on a non-pay-to-view basis.

Doggies and kitties aren't it...but if for instance you have any of these in the trees around your house, they WOULD count.

Waikikamoocow... A native animal of NZ. This strange beast has 4 legs, the left ones being shorter than it's right ones. This is caused by thousands of years of walking anti-clockwise around hills. (See - Darwin. C: "Origin of the species by means of natural selection")

This animal, (along with the Southland Moose), is very rarely seen, hence my lack of photographic evidence. There are many places named after this animal in New Zealand (Google search)

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Minister of Guitar. rob_on_guitar's Avatar

Current band: Leave The Dead

Unsubstantiated folk stories and beasties under your beds are not allowed...for reasons that are logical.

We'd get into a comparison of things that go bump in the night and scientific proofs of scare-factors would be impossible to correlate.

BTW: We have the same cows here, but you cannot see their legs as they stand hip deep in their own waste and any comparisons are hard to achieve.

So..there!

Quote Originally Posted by rob_on_guitar View Post
    That's the spirit!

I see your tuatara and raise you a Gila Monster.

A venomous, slow lizard...seen some times in the middle of the roads "sunning" themselves. Many are very flat from this practice and make excellent serving trays and childrens' toys (ie: "natural" or organic Frisbees...not to be confused with "Freeway Kitties" and "Roll-over Rover's")

EXTRA LINK These are DEADLY POISONOUS! Hand-feeding is seriously discouraged.

We have them in our general area...about 30 miles or so...out in the desert by Palm Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Unsubstantiated folk stories and beasties under your beds are not allowed...for reasons that are logical.
    Jeez Joe, until man arrived a while back, there was only 1 native mammal (a bat) in NZ (I think). And although the human colonists have introduced a whole heap of animals that have messed up the natural ecosystem, big nasty things that bite aren't among them.

We've got ferrets and stoats and kitty cats but nothing to compare to what youse guys have got.

That said, my old cat Polly was pretty darn mean. Used to fight dogs just for laughs.

Just to shorten what could be a long process SJ, if you are thinking only of critters that are indigenous to our country (as opposed to colonists like us), be aware that Godzone only has two species of native mammals (excluding aquatic mammals like seals, sealions etc).

There are two species of native bats and that is it. http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/summary.aspx?id=33095
    Unlike bats in other parts of the world, our bats act almost like mice - they fill a similar niche in the environment, spending much of their waking time foraging on the forest floor under the leaf litter. This niche was "vacant" , because there were no native mice, and the local rat (kiore, a vegetarian rat) only came several hundred years ago with Maori settlers. Some of our birds and insects (e.g. weta) fill a similar ecological niche; hence they were very vulnerable when colonists arrived and imported rats, mice, stoats, weasels etc.

I believe that some representatives of the bat species log on to this board from time to time - homo battius.

Have you got any of these: http://weta.boarsnest.net/gallery.htm
    Last seen in Peter Jackson's King Kong, suitably enlarged by their friends at Weta Workshop.

Some of our extinct birds were pretty good.:

"Haast’s eagle, now extinct, was the world’s largest eagle. Weighing around 12 kilos, it preyed on big birds, including 200-kilo moa, and died out when these were hunted to extinction. Haast’s eagle had humble origins. Its closest relatives are among the world’s smallest eagles, including Australia’s little eagle (Hieraaetus morphnoides), which weighs just 1 kilo."

source: http://www.teara.govt.nz/TheBush/Nat...rdsOfPrey/1/en