Default Recording Sky with TV tuner - Hauppauge

Hello
    I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum regarding PC TV tuners in NZ.

I am interested in recording Sky on my PC. I already have a standard sky subscription and sky decoder and dish. We current watch Sky on the TV. The signal comes out of the Sky decoder in s-video.

So if I was to record Sky I would put the s-video cable into a TV tuners s-video in. Is that right?

I am also a little confused as which Hauppauge TV tuner card to get. Either
    WinTV-PVR-xxx (like WinTV-PVR-150)
    WinTV-HVR-xxxx (like WinTV-HVR-3000)

As far as I can work out the PVR range is analogue and the HVR is digital. Right?

So to record sky s-video I need?

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Recording Sky with TV tuner - Hauppauge

To record Sky you can use a PVR and hook it up to Sky with Composite Cables, you can then record the CURRENT channel viewing on Sky.

IF you go the HVR Route you can split your Sky cable and take one lead into the back of the HVR. You can then record FreeView channels. Sky channels are encrypted.

I have one of each cards installed and with a combination of MySky and a HDD Recorder can grab most stuff.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock

Computer Tech

Welcome to PressF1!

You would be best to go for the PVR150MCE.
    It has a hardware MPEG2 encoder onboard so takes the load off the CPU.
    It can take a standard TV aerial input (UHF/VHF) and also has AV inputs for connecting a Sky decoder (S-Video or RCA for the picture plus left & right audio RCAs)

The HVR3000 is a hybrid card that will also do DVB-S and DVB-T signals as well as analogue but pretty sure it doesn't have a hardware MPEG2 encoder onboard so you would need a decent PC to record analogue / sky tv signals.

You would also need the Microsoft MCE Remote and irBlaster as this comes with the infared device to stick on the front of the Sky decoder so that you can change channels with the one remote (as well as controlling the PC) and when you have something set to record it can change the decoder to the correct channel automatically.

What software were you thinking of using to do this? Windows XP MCE? Vista Home Premium? MediaPortal?

I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 hooked up to my sky box in exactly the manner you describe. Works perfectly . Not sure if this applies to all versions, but my card also came with an IR blaster (a small IR transmitter which allows the media PC to control the sky box for scheduled channel-changes etc), MCE remote & USB receiver.

The software I'm running is MythTV (a Linux media centre / PVR app).
    Last edited by Erayd; 27-11-2007 at 09:10 AM.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Wow, thanks for the awesome replies. The picture is starting to get clearer Ė so to speak. So to further discussions, here is my summary as I understand it.
    The following are the capabilities of the Hauppauge cards (relative to New Zealand)

PVR cards
    =========
    Analogue TV i.e.
    -Free to Air
    -UHF/VHF
    -Sky (after decoding)

HVR cards
    =========
    Analogue TV
    Freeview DVB-T
    DVB-S, DVB-S2

Where I get confused is the DVB-S(2) area. Isn't sky already digital, or is that the signal prior to going into satellite box. The sat. box coverts it into a analogue signal?

As per an earlier post it appears the PVR cards have hardware MPEG2 encoding and the HVR donít.

IF you go the HVR Route you can split your Sky cable and take one lead into the back of the HVR. You can then record FreeView channels. Sky channels are encrypted.
    This is probably a dumb question, but I assume the split is prior to the cable going into the Sat. box.

What software were you thinking of using to do this? Windows XP MCE? Vista Home Premium? MediaPortal?
    Will most likely be something Windows, no sure yet. Possibly XP MCE, but should get this sorted before I purchase a card. Can I use XP professional (not XP MCE)?