Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How much stuff can you put in the boot?

I bought too much stuff for my car to handle today and had to make three trips home .

I estimate that there were 200kg of PCs in my boot and 250kg in the back seat. I noticed that when I would go over bumps the back tyres would actually scrape whatever was above the tyres - not a nice noise. I really don't think it's safe to drive with this much stuff in there, because it seems my suspension just can't handle it. The car sits about half as high off the ground as when unloaded.

I have a 97 Honda Accord by the way.

So, how much CAN I safely put in my car? I can't find any maximum load rating anywhere, and I don't want to find out the hard way that I am overloading the suspension.

If I was to buy a station wagon, say a Toyota Camry / Honda Accord wagon, how much (in kgs) would I then be able to fit in the boot? I'm talking weight not size here.

Does anyone here use their car to cart around heavy stuff?
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Default Re: How much stuff can you put in the boot?

not sure about weight, but my corolla wagon has had a pallet SRA1 paper in it
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

mikebartnz

Generally the state of the tyres will tell you wether it is overloaded or not but in some cases it is the shocks.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikebartnz View Post
    Generally the state of the tyres will tell you wether it is overloaded or not but in some cases it is the shocks.
    True if the tires are flat or the shocks are bottomed out and incapable of working correctly......but..(there's always a "but")....

I'm gonna open another "kill the old housewives tales" area again.

"Shock absorbers" do exactly what their name implies...they absorb shocks in the form of road or surface irregularities and attempt to

a) keep the wheel(s) in controlled contact with the roadway for improved braking, steering and traction.
    b) keep the oscillations of the suspension under control so the vehicle won't make the passenger(s) nauseated with excessive roll, diving and other untoward movements.

Typically they are NOT used as a ride/height device unless they are specifically designed as a load bearing instrumentality, propping up weak springs or temporary overload conditions.

I do not suspect that you have height-enhancing shock absorbers on your Honda.

As for GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Requirements) for some vehicles we get:

Vehicle Name - Passenger Capacity - Weight Capacity/US lbs/kg

Acura MDX - 7 - 1158/525

Dodge Grand Caravan - 7 - 1150/521

Ford Mustang - 4 - 720/327

Honda Civic 4/door - 5 - 850/386

Honda Accord 4/door - 5 - 850/386

Honda S2000 - 2 - 400/181
    Basically just two passengers!

Lincoln Navigator - 8 - 1452/660

Mazda CX7 - 5 - 850/386

Nissan Versa - 5 - 860/386

Toyota Highlander - 7 - 1200/544kg

Toyota Tundra Double Cab - 6 - 1340/608

Unfortunately these are close to current year specs..but as you can see the Honda is not a larger capacity conveyance device.

Carrying things in the "boot" or trunk is not a good idea..especially when you are overloaded..it places too much weight on one end of the vehicle, destroying the dynamics of the steering, handling, braking and headlamp aim.

Running on the suspension limiters (that harshness that you felt when you experienced bumps), can cause some damage to the rather flimsy suspension parts and adjustments.

All manufacturers build in some "fudge-zone" here to allow occasional overloading and yet have a semblance of control left in the vehicle. The above numbers are usually conservative and although we KNOW they are, exceeding those posted limits may make one an accessory to the fact in an accident that can be proven to be negligence by the owner-operator.

Tires are a concern too..were they up to the job? Did you add air pressure to help compensate?

Lots of variables there.....
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 24-11-2007 at 04:12 AM.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

air shocks can help you just pump em up a bit to handle any extra temporary load......
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

Joe's right. Springs bear load. Shock absorbers dampen the recoil from the springs.
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Well in the past I've picked up several loads of 1 tonne of blasting sand (in 25kg bags) and brought it 10km home.

- Loading it in the back of the van was no problem (couldn't really feel the weight)

- Loading it in the trailer and towing it behind the car meant a slow trip home (springs were fully depressed so I felt all bumps)

- Wouldn't even try to do it in the station wagon - 2 litre (or thereabouts) primera

Near Harvey Normans; no deposit, nothing to pay for 50 years, and then they take your house.

What about a trailer?

So theres 400-600Kg of "stuff" on Trademe soon
    No cloud is perfect...

The heaviest thing I've ever put in the car was my dog - he weighs 38 kg.
    Meh....

My tyres seemed pretty much the same as always, but the car was riding pretty low. It actually looked hilarious I thought

So is there any advantage in terms of load carrying capacity in having a station wagon over a sedan?

Ie, would putting 400kg in the boot of a station wagon lower the car stupidly like having 200+200 in the boot/back seat of my sedan, or are station wagons designed to be able to carry stuff?

Because I do like having back and front seats spare...
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)