Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New PC - is it a good deal?

Hi all

I saw this configuration on Quay Computer's website (haven't bought it yet!) - is it a good deal?

System Specs: http://www.quay.co.nz/systems/future.htm
    Picture: http://www.c-enter.hu/termekinfo/haz...prostation.jpg (real system has black trim not blue)

QUAY FUTURE PACK:
    -Intel DP35DP motherboard
    -AOC 203Vw+ 20" WS LCD
    -Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33Ghz, 4MB L2 cache 1333FSB)
    -Nvidia GeForce 8500 256MB PCIe Video Card
    -3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    -Seagate 250GB SATA Hard Drive
    -Asus 18x DVD +/- RW Writer
    -Internal USB memory card reader
    -Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    -Logitech R10 Speakers
    -Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard
    -Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    -Windows Vista Home Premium

For $1900

Is this a good deal? I'm told Quay is a reputable dealer and was wondering if the price they put on the systems is competitive.

Thank you for all your help as usual
    Last edited by jwil1; 21-11-2007 at 08:05 AM.
    "I would tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it."

in for the kill

Default Re: New PC - is it a good deal?

Probably not. You could get cheaper building yourself from C1Com. You can remove the 1.5% discount they do and they will build it for you as well.

The motherboard is just a straight Intel board. By the looks of things there are not many so the price for them is rather expensive for its features. I would suggest a P5K SE, cheap and stable at $159.

LCD's are preference really. But some to suggest are (in order of price) AOC 210V, ChiMei 221D and Samsung 226BW. All 22" and the first one is just over $400 but you could get the 203Vw+ (20") for $350.

The graphics card is a big letdown. Depends what you do but a 8800GT/HD 3870 or the cheaper HD 3850 would be a good choice (once they come out in the coming weeks).

No need for 3GB RAM as it stops it running dual channel so opt for just 2x1GB instead. Any kit with CL4 is good, aXeRAM or SuperTalent or go cheaper and get some 2x1GB Transcend JetRAM(CL5) for $90.

Instead of the Asus DVD Writer get a Pioneer, they make the Asus line of DVD Writers but Pioneer has better firmware. The DVR-212 model has SATA instead of IDE and is $2 cheaper at $55.

iSTAR Memory card reader. Not much to say except it does its job.

No need for a separate NIC card unless you need it. Stick to the motherboards 10/100/1000 (well for the P5K SE anyway).

You can get Vista Home Basic OEM version for $142 which is adarnsight cheaper then its retail version. No difference except you get no box and each time you do a major hardware change you have to call MS to reactivate (which is a 10min phone call).

I wouldn't say $1900 is worth it but seeing as it is being sold as a pre-built system it is bound to cost more. IMO buy parts separately and do it yourself or pay a little bit for them to do it.

The only thing I can see is the Graphics card doesn't mention brand. Get ASUS or Gigabyte for 3yr warranty.

Its model isn't that hot for gaming but is fine for anything else.

I'd agree with getting the ASUS P5K series board.

But as for price - its fine, yes you probably good hunt around for cheaper but as you say, you like Quays reputation and after sales service is an important consideration.

I would never in a million years buy anything from Quay. The last family PC came from there, and their warranty policy is 'interesting' to say the least. Three dead motherboards, two dead HDDs and a dead CPU in three years, and every time it was taken back under warranty it was a bitter fight to get them to acknowledge it was even covered.

Various underhanded avoidance techniques were tried, such as claiming they only warrant parts for three months (rather than the 1 year advertised), interrupting in the middle of the description with variations of "not our problem", telling us that it was our responsibility to diagnose what was faulty and then bring the part in for repair (even though the machine was sold as a single item, and had never even had the case opened by us). They also tried to charge labour time for warranty service, even after admitting the parts were covered.

After the third motherboard replacement I purchased and installed a new PSU (not from Quay) - ever since then it hasn't had a single problem.

In my opinion their nonexistant level of after-sales service doesn't merit paying the high prices they charge. I can't state this enough: stay the hell away from Quay Computers!
    Last edited by Erayd; 21-11-2007 at 08:50 AM.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

I Used to work for quays before I started my own business - what Bletch put doesn't sound right. If the PC blew that may components in that short a time there would have more than likely been some other factor causing it.

Heres an example - When I was there, once has this lady come in every week - the PC always crashing, run it on the workbenches - tested it to hell and back- ran perfectly - I went around to her house and took it back ( Not normally done, but they wanted to see whats going on) when there the PC right away played up - also the overload on the multi box blew twice when there - I was then informed that it does that all the time and did she think to tells the techs that at the shop - NO!
    Conclusion - Problem with the House some place not the PC - hardley Quays fault .

Regarding the service and warranties - if you speak to the guys out front in the shop half of them don't know anything about "Repairs" talk to the technicians out the back and thats a different story. MANY times they have to deal with so called Self proclaimed experts who know every thing - and thats half the problem, idiots trying to tell them how to do there job. I Wont say what a couple of the techs call the shop guys - I'd get banned from here
    They also tried to charge labour time for warranty service, even after admitting the parts were covered.
    Thats common - read ANY of the Dell, HP/Compaq warranties and they will all say the same thing.
    If the warranty says Parts AND Labour then they can't charge, if it says PARTS warranty then labour can be charged.

Quays have a 1 year warranty on parts and labour But only 90 days on software they supplied.

From experiance software problems can give the same symptoms as a hardware problem. If software has caused damage to the OS then its not a warranty claim - you only have to look here in PressF1 to see how many software related problems there are compared to Hardware.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-11-2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Edited - some reason Press F1 put my post in twice

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Edited - some reason Press F1 put my post in twice
    Ya double clicked didn't ya
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    Ya double clicked didn't ya
    Possible the damn web site jammed solid

Erh...you say 3gb, the specs say 2gb ram!, not sure what chipset that intel mobo uses, basic like the rest of the specs, they appear to be bottom of the barrel really, the AOC LCD included......

You can do better than that!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    I Used to work for quays before I started my own business - what Bletch put doesn't sound right. If the PC blew that may components in that short a time there would have more than likely been some other factor causing it.

Heres an example - When I was there, once has this lady come in every week - the PC always crashing, run it on the workbenches - tested it to hell and back- ran perfectly - I went around to her house and took it back ( Not normally done, but they wanted to see whats going on) when there the PC right away played up - also the overload on the multi box blew twice when there - I was then informed that it does that all the time and did she think to tells the techs that at the shop - NO!
    Conclusion - Problem with the House some place not the PC - hardley Quays fault .

Regarding the service and warranties - if you speak to the guys out front in the shop half of them don't know anything about "Repairs" talk to the technicians out the back and thats a different story. MANY times they have to deal with so called Self proclaimed experts who know every thing - and thats half the problem, idiots trying to tell them how to do there job. I Wont say what a couple of the techs call the shop guys - I'd get banned from here

Thats common - read ANY of the Dell, HP/Compaq warranties and they will all say the same thing.
    If the warranty says Parts AND Labour then they can't charge, if it says PARTS warranty then labour can be charged.

Quays have a 1 year warranty on parts and labour But only 90 days on software they supplied.

From experiance software problems can give the same symptoms as a hardware problem. If software has caused damage to the OS then its not a warranty claim - you only have to look here in PressF1 to see how many software related problems there are compared to Hardware.
    Thanks for that wainuitech. Had a friend who had problems with a quay, so brought it back - 3 days AFTER the warranty ran out - and wasn't charged!! He seemed impressed by their leniency (am I spelling that right?) when it comes to warranties etc. Not sure you'd get this kind of service from Compaq/HP or others.

They also seem happy to remove some trial software on it before I get my hands on it - YIPPEEEEE!

If something goes wrong with the HW n the first 1 year, is it fixed for free? Would you recommend them as a place to buy a PC?
    Last edited by jwil1; 21-11-2007 at 10:32 AM.
    "I would tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it."