Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is a telephone exchange?

I have a question.

Whats a telephone exchange

I suppose broadband that uses fibre optic dont have exchanges or do they?

What are the so called exchanges for?

If the exchanges are congested why do we have slow net?

Is it too much data flowing into the exchange that causes slowness and congestion?

Once our lines are connected to the exchange where does it go?Auckland ??then connect to the fibre optic that loops around the world??

Can anyone help me?Because I am a little bit clueness just have a basic knowledge
    Corsair Carbide Series® 500R,Intel i5 2500k,P8Z77V-Pro, 12GB DDR-1333MHZ ram, Asus DVD writer, Radeon Sapphire r9 270X 3GB , Windows 8 -64 Bit

Banned

Default Re: What is a telephone exchange?

Internet in NZ is congested because Telecom is till using 155mbit switches on its networks as opposed to Gigabit switches which the likes of Orcon and iHug are wanting to install in the local exchanges.
    telecommunications, a telephone exchange or telephone switch is a system of electronic components that connects telephone calls. A central office is the physical building used to house inside plant equipment including telephone switches, which make phone calls "work" in the sense of making connections and relaying the speech information.

The term exchange can also be used to refer to an area served by a particular switch (typically known as a wire center in the US telecommunications industry). More narrowly, in some areas it can refer to the first three digits of the local number. In the three-digit sense of the word, other obsolete Bell System terms include office code and NXX. In the United States, the word exchange can also have the legal meaning of a local access and transport area under the Modification of Final Judgment (MFJ).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange
    A copperwire, DSL or Fibre network is what runs between the exchange and the road side cabinet.With a copper line running from the street to your house.

It is not the amount of data that causes the problem, rather the routers ability to switch the data over the network (bottleneck) hence why you need Gigabit or multi Gigabit switches for fibre networks which all cost money.$$$$
    Last edited by winmacguy; 24-10-2007 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winmacguy View Post
    <snip>It is not the amount of data that causes the problem, rather the routers ability to switch the data over the network (bottleneck) hence why you need Gigabit or multi Gigabit switches for fibre networks which all cost money.$$$$
    And Telecom does not want to spend that money.....

Banned

You got that right!

So we our homes are connected to the exchanges.Then it switches to...Where does it go to from there?
    Corsair Carbide Series® 500R,Intel i5 2500k,P8Z77V-Pro, 12GB DDR-1333MHZ ram, Asus DVD writer, Radeon Sapphire r9 270X 3GB , Windows 8 -64 Bit

Through a series of tubes
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjabear View Post
    So we our homes are connected to the exchanges.Then it switches to...Where does it go to from there?
    Your house to a road side cabinet - to local exchange to ISP- to rest of the world

Not quite - house to cabinet to exchange to another exchange etc to ISP back to exchange to another exchange etc then out via Southern Cross cable if going overseas or to another ISP etc (ignoring wireless and satellite etc). The networks in place between the exchanges and usually to the ISPs are fine - the bottleneck is a combination of the 'last mile' of copper (i.e. from the cabinet to the home, in some rural cases from the exchange to the cabinet) and/or the net gear in the exchanges.

Andrew

Banned

I was close

If you bring it down to really simple terms, the exchange acts as a smart device that is connected to a lot of other exchanges & it decides which one your data has to go through in order to reach it's destination.

Everything between you and the exchange is just there to get data from you to the exchange & vice versa. Problems can occur when the pipe between your roadside cabinet & the exchange is full, or the pipe between your exchange and another exchange is full.

If anyone knows of any good articles on our infrastructure & how it works, I would be interested in reading them.