View Poll Results: Which is Better? VOIP or Normal a Phone Line

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • VoIP is The Best Option

4 66.67%
  • Normal Phone line plane The Best Option

2 33.33%

Default VoIP or Normal Phone

I'm Trying to decide weather to change from our current telecom phone plan to VoIP on Xnet. Is the price difference worth the quality and other aspects of VoIP, i live in darfield about 5 km from the nearest exchange and get about 2-3mbs according to speedtest.net. (currently have Xnet Broadband)

Banned

Default Re: VoIP or Normal Phone

I'd probably stick with a regular phone for the time being. As much as I am a fan of VOIP I would like to see the telecoms networks prove themselves first. What happens to your VOIP calls in a power outage - a regular phone line still gets through.

I'm with WMG here. Telecom and other ISP's need to improve their lines, speed and reliability a LOT if you want good and effective VoIP.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

I use Skype for my voip at the moment and I have a landline with Telecom. Landline does give better voice quality most of the time and Skype tends to occasionally cut out or there is some lag. However, Skype is free to use with other Skype users so I guess I can tolerate a bit of lag sometimes.

I am with Xnet too and will most likely dump Telecom line rental when I can afford the Router I will need for VFX digital voice.

Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodlady View Post
    I use Skype for my voip at the moment and I have a landline with Telecom. Landline does give better voice quality most of the time and Skype tends to occasionally cut out or there is some lag. However, Skype is free to use with other Skype users so I guess I can tolerate a bit of lag sometimes.

I am with Xnet too and will most likely dump Telecom line rental when I can afford the Router I will need for VFX digital voice.
    Yes, I would go along with that. I have a daughter in Sydney and it is a great thing to be able to talk cheap or free.

Worth the problems

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman8815 View Post
    I'm Trying to decide weather to change from our current telecom phone plan to VoIP on Xnet.
    I tried it. Didn't work too well.

And its not Telecom vs VOIP. Theres heaps of ISPs offering phone services.

Xnets VOIP is per minute, fine if you don't make a lot of calls but I find a $20 flat rate per month much better.

Considering the frequent broadband outages, I'd have second thoughts about Voip being your primary phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_f90 View Post
    Considering the frequent broadband outages, I'd have second thoughts about Voip being your primary phone.
    every since i joined xnet in june 2007 i have only had one outage here in darfield.

An armchair, from where I instantly become an expert on all things

Quote Originally Posted by jason_f90 View Post
    all it takes is that or a power failure or a hardware failure (ie router) and you'll have no way of communicating with the outside world.... you'll be stuck with a cellphone and then you'd better hope you place isn't in a dead spot for signal like my place is
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.