Thread: DDR RAM

Default DDR RAM

I have just had one stick of Adata DDR-400 512MB fail. It is one of a pair I bought and is only 4 months old. Am wondering if it is worth it trying to get a refund [which means my computer will be down for as long as this takes, including snail mail], and buying a different brand with that refund, or cutting losses, keep computer running on 1 the one good module, and buying a pair of something like Kingston ValueRAM in the next couple of weeks
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Default Re: DDR RAM

Why not have the failed stick replaced under warranty ?
    Life is about give and take.
    Shame some people take take take.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarmich View Post
    Why not have the failed stick replaced under warranty ?
    I'll second that - only 1 failed it should be replaced.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

You only need to send the one failed module back for replacement, and you can keep running on the other one, so there needn't be any down time.

This is about as straighforward a warranty replacement as it gets.

Just tell them that it fails memtest and you shouldn't have any problems.
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

OK. I figured since I bought them as a set, I would have to send them back as a set

Incidentally, is Kingston ValueRAM any good?

Yes Myth , I have found Kingston ValueRam to be great - have not had a single failure in over 3 years

And I've had Adata RAM fail on me also

Update: as I suspected, the company concerned (Ascent) has specified that since the RAM was bought as a set, they should be returned as a set (which means my computer is down for snail mail plus return time)

Should I just cut my losses and keep the one going module, and purchase a set of Kingston ValueRAM?

Id say, buy some more RAM and then when you receive the new stuff, send back the set. No down time :\

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Update: as I suspected, the company concerned (Ascent) has specified that since the RAM was bought as a set, they should be returned as a set (which means my computer is down for snail mail plus return time)

Should I just cut my losses and keep the one going module, and purchase a set of Kingston ValueRAM?
    Have you tried explaining that you need your computer and that it would be down for the return time etc?

Maybe they could do a forward replacement. Perhaps offer to pay for the replacements, and then get a refund (of the same amount) when the RMA goes through?
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Quote Originally Posted by george12 View Post
    Have you tried explaining that you need your computer and that it would be down for the return time etc?

Maybe they could do a forward replacement. Perhaps offer to pay for the replacements, and then get a refund (of the same amount) when the RMA goes through?
    They have sent me a Return Authorisation number. They have also sent me a previous email the stipulates:
    We are currently processing your request and will shortly send you a Return Authorisation (RA) number and instructions for returning the faulty item for repair. Unfortunately, forward replacements (where you receive the replacement before returning the faulty item) are not available for this item.
    I might send them back an email saying I would like to buy blah item from you, can we do the RMA after I have received that item.

Will keep you updated.
    By the way, does anyone know what time frame RMA's with Ascent usually take?