Default buy sony vegas"yipee" install "sad"

Hi Guys
    I Bought Sony vegas 6 pro for my big project but when I installed it firstly the avi files from my power shot would only show the audio track, but avi files my son had downloaded from the net worked fine. So o.k annoying but probably a codec type problem. But now from the the desktop I cannot open my documents. I can start programs but not open files from the start menu or desktop. I can see my photos using zoombrowser.

morgenmuffel

Default Re: buy sony vegas"yipee" install "sad"

Hi Ron

Until someone more knowledgeable comes along

Have you tried rebooting after installing the sony vegas thingies

regarding the AVI files, i would have assumed the software installed with the camera would have included the correct codec

You could try running Gspot on the avifile to figure out which codec you need
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Vegas should pick up your avi files ok with its own codecs, unless there's something really strange about the files.

Have you tried opening Vegas and dragging an avi file from your file manager to the Vegas track window? Vegas has its own file manager but try it both ways. Do you get an error message? If so, what is it?

I'm assuming you've installed all peripheral software such as NetFramework?

Maybe tell us some more about what you're trying to do with Vegas? Editing existing avi footage? etc.

BTW, some of the later Vegas versions try to install a piece of Sony bloatware called Media Manager. Unless you really want to use this, don't install it or if you've installed it, disable it in Preferences.
    Last edited by braindead; 29-09-2007 at 06:23 PM.
    FrogMan: half frog, half man; but which half?

O.K this is the current state of affairs:
    Clean install of win2k with SP4 and every other windows update available. Reinstalled sony vegas 6. Preferences>ignore third partie codecs"unticted" enable media manage "unticked".
    Videos play ok with windows media player but only the soud track will import into vegas timeline. Have tried pulling in from file manager but no luck. I tried the gspot thing but it didn't really behave that well. I have video files taken from my powershot which I would of thought would be quite basic. Vegas would not let me skip on the media manager.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Pentium 2.4 quad|Asus P5kr mobo|4 gig corsairs 6400 ram|Corsairs 630 power supply|Gigabyte 8800gt|2x seagate 500gig Hd's|Lg dvd burner|Vista premium

Let me ask you: are you trying to edit video footage you've recorded with a still camera that also has "video record" on it? That's a whole different ball game to video with a "proper" video cam. You'll need to find, download and install an MJPEG codec to run your clips in Vegas.

I can't think of a link at the mo. Try Googling "free mjpeg codec".

Let me know how you go. Your problem rings a bell since I think I also had that very problem with footage from my Panasonic FZ7 digicam. The MJPEG codec fixed it good.

Quote Originally Posted by braindead View Post
    Let me ask you: are you trying to edit video footage you've recorded with a still camera that also has "video record" on it? That's a whole different ball game to video with a "proper" video cam. You'll need to find, download and install an MJPEG codec to run your clips in Vegas.
    Yes.
    I shall look too.
    Pentium 2.4 quad|Asus P5kr mobo|4 gig corsairs 6400 ram|Corsairs 630 power supply|Gigabyte 8800gt|2x seagate 500gig Hd's|Lg dvd burner|Vista premium

Well it worked, I downloaded a mjpeg codec and now I'm all go. Thanks braindead.

Glad you solved it Ron - well done