Lab Rat

Default FAT32 File size problem in Vista

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been posted before (I searched and didn't find anything). I am running Vista on my brand new Dell laptop (Yay) and I repartitioned the drives and now can dual boot in to Ubuntu Linux as well. I also created a storage partition with FAT32 format as it is the only partition that both operating systems can read and write to. However it seems that Vista can't (or more likely has been programmed not to) access files on the Fat32 partition that are larger than a certain size. I'm not sure what the cut off is as I can mount a CD image in Alcohol 52% in Vista but not a 4GB DVD image. Is there anyway to hack Windows to be able to access this or am I stuck with M$ trying to obselete this old format?

Default Re: FAT32 File size problem in Vista

fat32 file size limitation of 4gb happened long before vista was invented....i'ts just that it cant run bigger files......just not possible
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

The problem is not to do with Vista, but with the FAT32 file system itself.
    Basically, the largest file size that FAT32 supports is 4GB. there is nothing (that I know of) you can do to increase this/remove it.

Lab Rat

Yeah I didn't think that there was any way around this. BTW Linux can handle files greater than 4GB on the Fat32 file system. Not sure why that is.

um you could make them XP NTFS partitions and install NTFS-3G for linux.

Found by searching the Add/ Remove apps in th e Apps menu, if ya using Gnome.

if the drives are mounted in Ubuntu, Unmount them and use NTFS configuration tool in Applications > System Tools tick the partitions and it will mount them with read / write access.

so yeah linux by default, can only read NTFS partitions. with NTFS-3G can write them as well. just wish they would make it a part of the default software package on the install DVD's

So the advice i give would be try to convert the FAT32 partition to NTFS 4.5(XP) or even try Vista NTFS formatting. and see if NTFS-3G can read/write to that. i say Convert as it saves you doing a back up. although one would be a good idea when messing with the FS type.
    Last edited by Cho; 28-09-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Lab Rat

Thanks for the advice Cho. I have heard that Linux NTFS drivers are not so good at writing to NTFS partitions. I don't want to wreck my FS, how good is NTFS-3G? And yeah I am using gnome.