View Poll Results: Do you wait until you're past a speed limit sign before beginning to accelerate?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I look at the sign and begin to speed up

35 85.37%
  • Yes, I remain at the current limit until I'm past the sign

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 12 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Speeding tickets

I just got a speeding ticket in the mail a few days ago (from a hidden camera in a van) for doing 68km/h in a 50km/h zone - a $120 fine.

I know when it happened, because I noticed the flash. I'm not very happy with it, because I was clocked about five seconds before going through the 70km/h speed limit sign, and I was doing more than 50 because I had seen the sign and was speeding up.

I'm aware that you must, legally speaking, wait until you're past the sign before speeding up to the new limit, but isn't this a bit of a nasty tactic to collect fines?

Not a lot of people wait, with their foot poised on the accelerator, until the sign is behind them before beginning to accelerate. The normal practice is to see the sign, acknowledge the new speed limit, and then begin smoothly speeding up or slowing down to reach that new limit at a comfortable rate.

With the way some signs are on highway onramps, if you were to wait until the '100' sign (coming from a 50 zone) you would have to floor it to have any hope of reaching 100 by the time you needed to merge into the highway. Imagine if cops were waiting in the onramps to catch people who smoothly speed up along them rather than waiting until they're past the sign...

Perhaps this is a pathetic excuse in the same category as "I was just going with the flow of the traffic" but should I write a letter and try to get off it, or just pay my $120 and move on?
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Banned

Default Re: Speeding tickets

pay the $120 to the Ministry of Revenue gathering<cough> cops <cough> and move on.

That's pretty rats. I find it worse when they're at the end of a passing lane on the top of a hill. There's a chronic patch just north of Whangarei where my mate got ticketed. Bastards.

Banned

Some years ago the cops had a speed camera up in a cherry picker in the trees beside the main road coming into Rotovegas - until the local residents complained and they took it away.

Were you going faster than the posted limit for the spot you were nabbed in? That is what the law is stating. Your interpretation might allow "easing into the xmas break" about now, but the post xmas specials won't come any earlier for all that. Also, driving at 200 KMH and then claiming you are about to go flying shortly and wish to acclimatise to the speed before getting airborne won't work either. Only Sue Bradford would agree with the thought that infants should be allowed into hotels from birth for gradually increasing periods to allow them to become fully integrated by the time they are of legal age.
    If the law was straightforward and logical, we would have no real reason for lawyers.
    WinstonOO1 (Licensed to bill) ( ) will assure you that it isn't, and we do.

Destroy this post before reading.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Banned

Speeders are potential murderers. I would like to see repeat speeders sent to jail. The faster the speed the bigger the mess its physics.
    Pay your fine, grow up and learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by tedheath View Post
    Speeders are potential murderers. I would like to see repeat speeders sent to jail. The faster the speed the bigger the mess its physics.
    I wasn't endangering anybody any more 100m before the sign than 100m after it. This was after all the houses had stopped. The only thing anywhere near me was the car in front of me, which was doing the same speed as me.

In other situations I would completely agree with you.
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tedheath View Post
    By your reasoning Tedheath that would make NASCAR, F1, Touring Car, RWC drivers etc all killers.. because they all speed..

Quote Originally Posted by winmacguy View Post
    By your reasoning Tedheath that would make NASCAR, F1, Touring Car, RWC drivers etc all killers.. because they all speed..
    Well, your point makes less sense that teds.
    For one, these guys race on closed roads.
    For another, they don't endanger innocent drivers, pedestrians etc (except on the odd freak occurence where a bystander/spectator does get injured as the result of an accident)
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Well, your point makes less sense that teds.
    For one, these guys race on closed roads.
    For another, they don't endanger innocent drivers, pedestrians etc (except on the odd freak occurence where a bystander/spectator does get injured as the result of an accident)
    My point being that its not speed by itself that kills. Most of the reported accidents on the news resulted when the vehicle crossed the centre line into the path of the oncoming traffic. Most of the speed related crashed involved boy racers bating the cops in very high speed persuits resulting in unnecessarily dangerous driving conditions.