Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Jerry Attrick

Default Windows Movie Maker not accepting mpg

I copied all the mpg files from my new Sony HDD Handycam drive into a folder I created on my PC F drive (the F drive is in fact a partition on my PC main drive). When I try to import these into "Windows Movie Maker" I get the message 'F:\My Pictures\Import Folder\Tonga video\Picture 001.mpg could not be imported. An interface has too many methods to fire events from'

What does it mean? Does it mean I have no way of editing my holiday movie, other than buying a new movie editing program? Can anybody recommend a good basic movie editing program (with titling and fades like WMM), either cheap or free, that may solve my problem?

Redaing some of the F1 threads NeroVision seems a favourite. Does it have fades and so on?

My WMM tells me it's Version 5.1 and it also says it's Version 2.1.4026.0.

BTW it seesm happy to load and play wmv files.

My PC OS is XP Home.

Banned

Default Re: Windows Movie Maker not accepting mpg

have you checked your import codecs or movie settings in WMM?

It looks like it needs a codec to import that file

As stated here

WMV is MM's native format, which is why it'll import it, MPG isnt unless you install some kind of codec.

Have a look around here on info about MM.

And if you use firewire, to transfer video, the format is usually WMV.

Jerry Attrick

Thank you people for your kind replies.

I’ve waded through a mountain of information, including a heap by ‘papajohn’, who seems totally besotted by WMM, despite what I regard as a typical MS characteristic in that it claims what it doesn’t deliver: it says it accepts mpg files and it patently doesn’t. Assuming I successfully negotiate the minefield of converting a file to avi (whatever that is), do I then have to do it for the other 330 files (where each scene shot appears as a separate file in my folder)? And when (if) my movie is ever completed do I then have to convert it back, or convert it to yet another format in order to plonk it on a DVD and play it on mine and other TV’s?

It boggles my mind that ‘papajohn’ describes WMM as “a wonderfully easy-to-use entry-level video editing app” and “you can be up and running in a couple of hours” etc. From my viewpoint WMM is about as friendly as a grenade with the pin out.

I tried blindly un-checking items in WMM Tools -> Options -> Compatibility but when it does let me import mpg files they run with audio but no video.

Clearly I’m not alone, but I’ve failed to find a quick, easy, concise and user-friendly method for actually using WMM for what it purports to be designed for.

Tirade over: any rescue plans anyone please?
    What user-friendly mpg-compatible video editing software do others use?

Nerovision (Part of the Nero install), does a good job, it loads most video formats, (You can edit the video, before you burn whatever to DVD), and it burns whatever to DVD in DVD format.

The only thing is, some of the plugins it needs, / uses, you have to pay for.

Most programs like Ulead programs, SHOULD load Mpegs, and convert the files to DVD format, when you burn them to DVD.

(the files you've got already will remain MPegs (or whatever format theyre in now).

Did any programs come with the DVD burner (If you've got one)??

This may do it

I dont know how good this program is, I've never used it.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 19-09-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post

Tirade over: any rescue plans anyone please?
    What user-friendly mpg-compatible video editing software do others use?
    I understand that Ulead Studio is very good followed by Adobe Premier or Premier Elements, all of which you have to pay for.
    Since I'm on an iMac I use iMovie which makes WMM look stupid - but that's not hard.

WMM is a pretty basic program, compared to fully fledged video editing programs. But it does have some good things in it.

Altho 2.5 / 3.0, I think it is for Vista / Media centre may have a few extras in it than XP's version.

But like WMP, just because WMM is part of XP / gets installed by default, just because its there, it doesnt mean its the best program to use either.

This may help for XP
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 19-09-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Jerry Attrick

What exactly is “DVD format”? What is its’ file extension, or isn’t it like that? Everything points to mpeg2 as my problem, but my files have mpg extension: is mpg necessarily mpeg2, or does the mpg file extension cover a whole lot of different types? Or have I got it all wrong?

Re burners, I appear to have Nero 6 Express that does CD’s and DVDs and also ASUSDVD. Are they likely to help in some way? Why do you ask SG?

Surely my problem is editing, rather than burning? I’ve burned DVDs before, and they ran on OK my PC and on my TV.

Ulead seem to have a trial version available for free download, so I might give that a go. What do you think?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Surely my problem is editing, rather than burning? I’ve burned DVDs before, and they ran on OK my PC and on my TV.

Ulead seem to have a trial version available for free download, so I might give that a go. What do you think?
    It would be worth trialling Ulead. It has been recommended on this forum several times by a number of users. I think pctek or beeswax34 use it. Generally if you want quality video editing software on a PC you have to pay for it. Most of the free stuff is usually lacking in some areas. The only other contender would be Adobe Premier.

I tried WMM on Vista Home Premium. It did import an mpg, played sound but no video. However, it could create a wmv output file that seemed OK and was editable. So, in effect, it acted as a converter.