Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wireless microphone/receiver

Good morning
    I hope someone out there can help. I bought a wireless microphone and receiver (in fact, there are two mikes) for my daughter to use for karaoke - she's six and likes to sing. Now I find that the receiver will not connect to my amp. It is an Onkyo amplifier/receiver and the only mic input is for speaker set-up. Any suggestions? And yes, I did consider PS Singstar - wish I went for it now
    Many thanks.

Default Re: Wireless microphone/receiver

What is the make/ model of the wireless receiver ? Importantly what sort of output does it have ? If it is a line- level output an adapter lead should allow you to connect to the Aux channel of the Onkyo amplifier

Hi. It is Nady DKW-Duo. Specs as follows:
    Overall system
    Frequency response: 80-14,000 Hz, +/-.3dB
    Dynamic range: 95dB
    Total harmonic distortion: <0.7%
    RF carrier frequency range: 170-216 MHz
    Frequency stability: +/-0.005%, crystal controlled
    Modulation: FM (F3E), +/-15KHz max
    Operating range: 150ft typical up to 300ft line of sight

Transmitter
    Audio input: Nady DM-20D unidirectional dynamic cartridge
    Controls: OFF/ON switch
    LED indicator unit: "ON" (single flash), low battery alter (steady)
    RF power out: 50mW (max. allowed by FCC)
    Harmonic & Spurious Emissions: >-40dB

Receiver
    Controls: Power on/off
    Connectors: 1/4" unbalanced audio out jack, 2.1mm barrel-type DC input jack
    LED indicator: power ON, transmitter RF (CHA & CHB)

Operating instructions (note - edited for slightly less detail):
    1. plug the adapter into the 9VDC input jack on back of receiver. Plug power supply into AC outlet. Switch power on - receiver operational.
    2. Rotate and extend anetnas fully...
    3. The 1/4" audio output jack provides fixed, unbalanced MIC level audio output for connection to mixer with 1/4"-1/4" cord supplied. (then goes on about warnings re system damage...)

That's about it, thanks.

Pedant and proud of it

Just try it. On any inputs you have on the amplifier. The "line" and "mic" input levels are fairly flexible these days.

Thanks for that info - looks like a nice piece of gear for the price. The output is 1/4" MIC level and that could pose a problem if trying to connect to a home stereo amp/ receiver

You can get lead that will convert 1/4" phone outputs to RCA to connect to an Aux in connection , however in this case the signal will probably be too low to hear through the stereo .

What is needed is a mic pre-amp to amplify the signal manyfold, then output the signal at Line- level to your Onkyo . Such pre-amps can be quite inexpensive - out of interest how much did you pay for the Nady wireless system? This will help in discussing possible suitable pre-amps

Hi. It was a rather impulsive "buy now" on Trademe for $170, but at least it is new. Good to hear from an independent source that it's a reasonable piece of gear - I wouldn't have a clue I was hoping it was going to be simply a matter of plugging it in...
    I would really appreciate any info you have on the preamp option. Thanks.

Pedant and proud of it

It's worth trying a direct connection to an AUX input, before spending any more.

(I wonder how long it will be before some Trademe vendors discover how expensive it can be to sell equipment like this in NZ without any attempt to comply with the regulations ).

As Graham has said it's well worth trying the unit out before spending any further money on a preamp - your local Dick Smith or Jaycay etc should be able to help you get a suitable 1/4" phone to rca lead for $20 or less - please note the output of the Nady is MONO not stereo .

If you try this and don't get a usable volume then a preamp will be needed - there may be such things also on Trade Me . A cheap option is to get a kitset from Dick Smith or Jaycar - I had a brief look and they cost $20 or so

Another option would be to use a small mixer eg the Behringer Xenyx 502 from the Rockshop - however it does cost $109 . Behringer gear cops quite a lot of negative publicity - I've a few pieces of their equipment and it works fine for the price [ maybe I've been lucky? ] It's listed on TradeMe for a buy now of $95

Using a small mixer allows you to better set the level of the microphone to the CD backing , and also allows some tonal control
    Last edited by KatiMike; 12-09-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: poor spelling

KatiMike - re your suggestion about the Behringer Xenyx: would using something like this preempt the need for the Nady transmitter/receiver or would it be used in conjunction with it? If it is the latter, that would mean connecting the Nady gear to the Behringer gear which is then connected to an amplifier, yes? But how? I also found
    http://www.behringer.com/MIX800/index.cfm?lang=eng
    Is this something I could connect the nady gear to/through? Sorry to be so dense.
    Cheers

Well I can't see you're being dense at all

Yes if you used a standard preamp like the Xenyx you would connect the Nady receiver [ via a 1/4" or 6.3mm to XLR lead] to the Behringer preamp then to the Onkyo

Now the Minimix would be just great - output of the Nady into one of the Mic inputs of the Minimix ; CD player into the back of the MiniMix and both feed out mixed [ with echo or reverb on the microphones ] via RCA plugs to the Onkyo - I have seen other units in the Mini range [ eg minifex FEX800] in NZ for about $150 - however I have yet to see a Minimix - if you could find one then your system would well suit the Kareoke needs of your 6 yr old daughter !!!