Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Norton 360 _All-in-one Protection

In the recent past, "Security Suites" have had a poor reputation and my impression, from reading many posts on this forum is that they are often bloated resource hogs that don't do a very good job at all.

Norton in particular has had quite a bad rap as being one of the worst in chewing up resources.

I was wondering if anyone has any direct experience with their new product::

Norton 360.

I have heard some fairly good things about it, but is it a resource hog? does it work? and how does it compare to using different and separate products to ward off the various different categories of malware on the web?
    WINDOWS Vista Ultimate SP2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01 GHz; 2.0GB RAM;
    GeCube RADEON X800XL; 200GB HDD

Default Re: Norton 360 _All-in-one Protection

ALL Norton products for Security are system Hogs. Norton 360 is no exception, it is simply lots of their products all rolled into one big BLAHHH .

See Here > Norton 360

Take a look at This scrool down and you will see how much Nortons Slows down a PC compared to other Security products (Page supplied by wratterus, and damn good also)

Very few people here use Norton's in fact as you pointed out it gets rubbished. Not only for slowing down your PC, but also for not working very good.

Personally I have seen all the range of Nortons on many machines and I can honestly say that after removing Nortons ( any version) the PC instantly halfed its start up times.

Norton 2008 is out, I'm going to install it on a test PC simply as a trial to see how much this "New Version" hasn't improved.

What he said.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

had a major nasty fight with norton360 on a clients pc running vista.....it didn't install correctly when the person bought it....that's when they called me. It took me a couple of hours of swearing (quietly to myself) to FINALLY get it installed and updated and running satisfactorily. bloody norton theres one thing you can guarantee; if you have a problem with it it'll be a ***** to fix !

Anyway all was ok and I left the scene, a few days later he calls me up; "I cant get into many websites and messenger wont sign in"....

Oh dear turns out norton360 has a not well advertised potential problem, yes I found this out after considerable web research and then only got a couple of listings of useful info from google. Norton themselves were NOT advertising this issue and indeed according to some posts i read by people who had experienced it they were worse than useless when called on the tech support line.

Problem; a process called 'transaction monitoring' within the 360 program would stop access to 'sign in' type of websites such as this one, the bank, hotmail, whatever and it'd stop sign in processes such as signing in msn messenger. SEems the ONLY fix was to disable this process within the program. Seems pretty stupid that this 'wonderful - new' version of norton, touted across the world wide web as a great product which you should pay considerable dollars for, had this problem which could only be fixed by disabling certain of the security functionalities of the program........duh !!

I'd personally NEVER install norton onto my home system - even if you paid me to do it ! I installed norton 2007 internet security on a 'clean' virtual pc o/s (xp pro) just to see whta it did.........well it slowed the o/s down markedly and interestingly enough it put over 700 - yes SEVEN HUNDRED listings into the registry..........what a horrible hog of a program
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

Computer Tech

The problem is that Nortons is not going to go away anytime soon.
    They seem to have somehow got themselves in with the most of the big PC manufactures and comes standard on HPs/Compaqs, Toshibas, Acers etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    The problem is that Nortons is not going to go away anytime soon.
    They seem to have somehow got themselves in with the most of the big PC manufactures and comes standard on HPs/Compaqs, Toshibas, Acers etc etc
    Have you actually tried the latest 2008 IS & AV? If not then you are not qualified to answer. I have and it is not trouble at all under Vista as it is updated to be such.
    I have used it since ages ago and the performance hit is quite high on a low spec machine with little memory but with what I run you can't even tell it is there and have never had been able to.

Too many people just say bad things about products just because of one bad experience or what they hear from others (spreading rumors it is called).

I for one will always use it because all these free versions are not free if you want exactly the same things.

I for one will always use it because all these free versions are not free if you want exactly the same things.
    errrrrrrr........lol good on ya but I wont use it because i've had considerable experience with various norton incarnations over the years and haven't been very impressed with its 'strike' rate and have been distinctly UNimpressed with it when it develops problems as it seems to very readily....

and just what do you mean 'these free things are not free if you want exactly the same things'....

I've got spybot/spywareblaster/avg/scriptdefender/comodo firewall and probably a couple of others which I cant remember however these ARE free and not any particular bother to update etc either and they're GOOD.
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    Have you actually tried the latest 2008 IS & AV? If not then you are not qualified to answer.

Yes just tried it 2008 Internet Security as I mentioned in my previous post, simply to see if was any more or Less of a system Hog at start up.

Results: PC is Cel 2.8 Ram 1 GB XP HM - Not exactly high spec.

Loaded a fresh Image to a drive - clean as never been on the internet
    Time 5 Min to load image ( nothing to do with security programs)

Each time test was done three times with the average results:

Boot times with NO protection - Nothing / nought - fully running
    25 Seconds

Loaded Nortons 2008 IS ( trial) 15 Minutes to install
    Rebooted the PC twice to seat the programs - times from off to full running

2 Minutes & 12 seconds

Re - imaged the drive back to New

Installed Nod32 rebooted 2 times to make sure its seated
    - start time

35 seconds.

I will give credit where its due, they have speeded up the start times slightly, but thats with a clean system, no bugs - so you decide for yourself. Not every one has powerful PC's .

Personally I still wont use Nortons to many problems in the past takes a lot of convincing to change. I'll stick with Nod32 thanks

Just a foot note: I've had MANY complaints from customers when they try to contact Norton / symantec , or it wont renew when its time even though they have taken your money.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-09-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Yes just tried it 2008 Internet Security as I mentioned in my previous post, simply to see if was any more or Less of a system Hog at start up.
    All those figures and no mention of how much resources it takes up on either. 10-20 seconds to boot up difference! Who gives a toss. You only do this at the start of the day unless you are one of those who turns their PC off chance they can get. In fact many leave them running 24/7 so the bootup time does not even come into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    All those figures and no mention of how much resources it takes up on either. 10-20 seconds to boot up difference! Who gives a toss. You only do this at the start of the day unless you are one of those who turns their PC off chance they can get. In fact many leave them running 24/7 so the bootup time does not even come into it.

Thats your opinion, and thats fine - Nothing wrong with it. DID I MENTION system resources - NO. I mentioned BOOT TIMES.

Every time I have had complaints regarding Nortons from My customers Its about START UP TIMES or damaged Nortons, not about system resources, when its up and running, sure it doesn't appear to change the speed much. But I never said that. And just because you have have the $$ for a powerfull computer, you are more lucky / better off than the average home user.

Tell me also why do Nortons make a removal tool for removing their own damaged programs if and when they fail ?

Maybe you should also redo your maths -
    No Protection 25 seconds, with Norton's Internet security - 2 minutes 12

1 min = 60 seconds. So 2.12 = 132 seconds Minus 25 = 107 Seconds, Thats 1 minute 47 Sec (average) Lower spec PC's would no doubt take longer. I fact I have just restarted the PC with 512 Mb RAM- added another 20sec to the start. Not a lot , but when you get an average home user complaining try telling them they have to spend more $$ just so the new program they purchased can run. Yeah right.

Hey no body said you have to like or dislike Norton's - I actually used it myself for many years until it damaged my own system, and I had so many problems contacting Symantec. Installed Nod32 and that found 16 infection that Nortons missed.

You're free to use what ever software you like.

And just because some one answered yes to your comment about have you used it - dont jump down their throat. And yes I do agree that unless you have tried something then you can make an honest comment on it from what you found - Not Rumors.

I didn't Invent Nortons I simply used their product and report my results.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-09-2007 at 05:44 PM.