Thread: HT Licence

Default HT Licence

Lately at work,there has been a bit of gentle nudging towards me sitting my HT. Work won't pay for it, but they will give me the time required as far as practical knowledge. Its not a necessity for me to have my HT, but it would be beneficial if I had it, in that I could do the occasional run to the suppliers etc. I also know that for future jobs, having an HT license would be beneficial.
    What steps are there in acquiring an HT license? I have heard it is stepped, like the car license. Anyone have any ideas what each step costs?

Incidentally, the truck we use is similar in size to a Mitsi Canter, I can't remember the tare weight off-hand. There would be no other endorsements required, just HT

Default Re: HT Licence

I have my HT Class 2 Licence.

I can recommend getting it as it certainly comes in handy, I'm not Truck Driving at the moment, but it's good to have it there.

That’s strange that work won't pay for it? My work did.

All the information you need and costs are here:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/heavy/index.html

When I went which was 6 years ago now, I sat a written test which enabled me to have a L licence and drive the truck as long as somebody is with me. This lasts for 6 months.

As there were no driver training courses for tucks in my area at the time, I had to wait the 6 month period. Which is crazy. I mean as if My Boss was going to pay an extra staff member to come with me on all my deliveries.
    So I drove a lone, no problems, remember this is only a Class 2 Licence which you must get before the other Classes. Which means it’s not a big Truck, still it's a Truck.

After 6 months I went for my Full Licence and I had to take a practical test.
    no problems. Was easy.

I recommend taking one of those courses as it will cut the learners time right down, But then if you’re in no hurry and don't mind the wait. Just wait for the 6 months to pass.

Things could have changed since I went but check out that Link.

In conclusion: HT Licence Recommended

Cheers Rad
    Too Stupid to Understand Science? Try Religion.

They won't pay for it as they don't see it as a necessity. I can stay in the factory and just pack - which is the main job. Having it would allow me the freedom to get out occasionally. There are 3 others there with HT, the manager just likes to share the perks e.g. like taking a load away, or picking stuff up from the suppliers.
    Thank you for the link too, its not as expensive or involved as what I originally thought.

lysdexic The price of getting it will never go down, it will always keep going up.

Going by that web page it looks a lot more complex getting an HT license now days. I paid in Pounds when i got mine so it is a long time ago.

For my HT I drove around the block all left hand turns until i was back outside the county office. For my Trailer we had a single axle trailer with some bags of cement on to bring it up to weight, again we drove it around the block and backed it about 20 meters.

For Light and Heavy wheels and rollers (what all the light and heavy earthmoving classes were called at the time) The cop came over to our little village we had an old D4 on tracks and a fordson tractor with a bucket, we had to pick up a bucket of dirt each and we all passed 4 licenses.

I have all licenses except a motorbike.

I have since driven Buses in over 40 countries and Trucks all over New Zealand and Road Trains Brisbane-Darwin, plus freight and stock in most parts of NSW and QLD.

Get your HT license dude lots of opportunity later in life if you want it.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lysdexic View Post
    They won't pay for it as they don't see it as a necessity. I can stay in the factory and just pack - which is the main job. Having it would allow me the freedom to get out occasionally. There are 3 others there with HT, the manager just likes to share the perks e.g. like taking a load away, or picking stuff up from the suppliers.
    Thank you for the link too, its not as expensive or involved as what I originally thought.
    Then don't bother going for it... if it's going to be for occasional use and they don't want to pay for it, then just leave it. I've had mine for about 2 years now; I got it after my employer sent me to a driving school... I have since only driven 12 times on the job. They also paid for my "P" and "V" endorsements, which expired after 1 year and I haven't bother renewing it as I have no need for it.

If you boss wants you to get the HT to share the "perk" of driving around then I would say no thanks... especially if he's not willing to pay for it. Sounds like he's trying to get an additional truck driver without having to fork out for it. If he's not willing to invest money into developing your skills as an employee then don't invest your time into pleasing him. If he terminates your employment based on not wanting to get your HT...sue his sorry butt.

Cheers

Asus P8Z77-VL X
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus CPU Water Cooler
    32GB DDR3
    2 x 250GB SSD, 3 x 2TB WD Enterprise HDD
    Asus DVD/RW
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970
    Coolermaster Centurion Case & 550W PSU
    Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    Then don't bother going for it... if it's going to be for occasional use and they don't want to pay for it, then just leave it.
    I don't agree. I haven't read the link provided by radium but if an HT licence is like a car licence in that you don't have to keep paying a renewal fee or pass a test every year or so then the opportunity to get it now should be taken. Having as many licences and qualifications as possible of all kinds opens the door to lots of opportunities later on down the track.

I would go for it if it were me but I would also try and negotiate at least half of the expense with the employer.

Banned

Name the 40 countries you have driven in.

tedheath

Quote Originally Posted by tedheath View Post

tedheath
    Take a look at Contiki's web site. I used to work for an opposition company of theirs except we also did North Africa and out as far as Nepal.

I did trips London-Nepal, Russia, Poland, Morocco, Jordan plus all countries between London and the ones I listed.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock

Quote Originally Posted by tedheath View Post

tedheath

Good Call ted

You crack me up.
    Too Stupid to Understand Science? Try Religion.