Banned

Default House Bus question

I am travelling down country on Sunday to look at a house bus.
    Does anyone here know what rules there are for people travelling in a house bus. Like does there have to be proper passenger seats with belts. Or can they sit on the furniture and move around the bus when its moving.
    Are you allowed to use the pot belly when the bus is moving. Is it easy to get water around nz for the tanks, do you travel with the tank full? Where do empty the toilet and waste water do you have to dump it out in the boondocks when no one is watching.
    Can I use the bus at home as an office and get tax deductions for my business.
    What things should I look for on the chassis and engine.
    Is ht ok or do you need bus liscence can I drive it in bus lane in akl.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

tedheath

Default Re: House Bus question

Seats - seats and safety belts for all passengers whilst on the move. Believe me, you don't want to be moving around it whilst it is moving (says the chief rattle finder!)

Fire - Doubt it. Have heard of people cooking chickens by gas whilst on the move though. Probably not recommended.

Dump stations everywhere - toilet waste, grey water and fresh water. Most of them free. For lots of good info (and dump station locations) thoroughly recommend joining the motorhome association . They also have classifieds for motorhomes for sale (on-line). We joined before we bought the bus and learnt a lot from them

License - unless you are carrying paid passengers only need HT license if over required weight

Bus Lanes - dream on.

Tax deductions: Ask your accountant

Quote Originally Posted by tedheath View Post
    Does anyone here know what rules there are for people travelling in a house bus.
    Yep - Rule #1 is drive it off the nearest bridge over a very high chasm. Napier / Taupo has a decent example.

ps - if you're too afraid you can always let the dog drive - it seems to help the steering. And of course, be sure to share the rum with Fido.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

And another reason for joining the motorhome assoc in advance is insurance. They have a special deal for members. Never got quotes from elsewhere. We relied on word of mouth, and info in the monthly mag and members handbook, that it was good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yep - Rule #1 is drive it off the nearest bridge over a very high chasm. Napier / Taupo has a decent example.

ps - if you're too afraid you can always let the dog drive - it seems to help the steering. And of course, be sure to share the rum with Fido.
    You are a bit of a worry lol

tedheath

Banned

Could I use a normal pc in the bus or would the bumping destroy the harddrive.
    Has anyone used vodem can it be used on a pc with some sort of adaptor.
    I have seen a contractor with vodem but it was on a laptop.
    What size generator would I need to run washing machine with 1/3 hp electrical motor. Someone told me the starting current is a problem.

thanks

tedheath

The trouble with a desktop is the power required to run it - who wants to listen to a generator thumping away?

For electrical advice read Collyn Rivers books. Absolutely excellent.

I've used the cellphone connected by cable to the laptop to check email. Expensive way of doing it (as it isn't on a data plan) and not overly fast. I don't trawl the web whilst away.

If we were to take off for a few months at a time (that's the plan... maybe...) I'd go for either a vodem or telecom equivalent with a plan.

Vodafone have a vodem (usb attachment) and a VMC (data card for laptop)
    Last edited by Mercury; 06-09-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling