Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing a game onto Vista Machine

Hello folks. I'm hoping someone can help with not being able to install a game onto my laptop. It's a Twin Cam 1600 Sony Vaio running Vista. The bloody thing keeps telling me, "you have no authority to perform this action", or something to that degree. As I own it and have set up myself as an Administrator I can't think of anything else to do??? I've installed other apps no worries at all apart from that thing popping up to ask me if I want to perform this action, but can't install this particular game. It works on XP but won't install on Vista....Grrrrr!!!

An armchair, from where I instantly become an expert on all things

Default Re: Installing a game onto Vista Machine

ugh, vista

have you disabled that crap to stop it asking if you really want to do what it just told you yet?

otherwise this is just a bump
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.

Why does everyone think that the UAC pop-ups are bull****? Its one extra click you have to perform and it helps stop malicious programs from running...

Back to the matter at hand...Vista may not let you run the installation because even though you are logged in as an administrator you still don't have full permissions to install into the program files. Try right clicking on the installation exe and choosing "Run as administrator".
    Last edited by kyranbrophy; 19-08-2007 at 01:28 AM. Reason: further question

What is the game by the way?

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kyranbrophy View Post
    Why does everyone think that the UAC pop-ups are bull****? Its one extra click you have to perform and it helps stop malicious programs from running...

Back to the matter at hand...Vista may not let you run the installation because even though you are logged in as an administrator you still don't have full permissions to install into the program files. Try right clicking on the installation exe and choosing "Run as administrator".
    It's annoying because if you have decent, malware/spyware software running you wouldn't need UAC in the 1st place... it's double handling.

I run spybot with tea-time in the background... it does exactly the same thing that the UAC application does. I use Trend PC-Cillin as well and it performs similar functions and is not as intrusive as UAC... in my opinion that is.

UAC is good for novices whilst a pain in the butt for more experienced users.

Cheers

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Banned

It is "one extra click" too often repeated that doesn't provide any extra benefit to the user other than pissing them off. You shouldn't need to run as administrator just to be able to install stuff without encountering the UAC popups. All you should need to do is to enter the admin password ONCEwhile in USER mode to allow you to install apps x,y,b and c then log out and be on your merry way.
    Last edited by winmacguy; 19-08-2007 at 08:02 AM.

I like an O/S to sit there doing nothing until I give it a command. It should then perform that command.

Not act like someones mother..........are you sure, no thats not a good idea, no don't do that...blah blah.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    It's annoying because if you have decent, malware/spyware software running you wouldn't need UAC in the 1st place... it's double handling.
    Right on the button there Chiefnz. although I would look at the other way around and say that if UAC did what it was supposed to you wouldn't need to run anti malware and spyware apps which is the world that Mac and Linux users live in.

What is the game by the way?
    This question was not answered - It may have nothing to do with UAC, The original question stated the game couldn't install ?
    The game may run fine on XP but simply may not run on Vista - thats a common problem.

you may have to do it in compatability mode ?

Whats the game please you are trying to install?

Oh Almost forgot - Welcome to PressF1 Kiwidog I see that was your first post.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-08-2007 at 09:21 AM.

An armchair, from where I instantly become an expert on all things

Quote Originally Posted by winmacguy View Post
    Right on the button there Chiefnz. although I would look at the other way around and say that if UAC did what it was supposed to you wouldn't need to run anti malware and spyware apps which is the world that Mac and Linux users live in.
    lol, but mac and to a lesser degree linux users can't play most games kiwidog is going to want to play - and once mac does have a large enough market share to get major game studios on board, they'll be large enough to attract spyware and viruses etc.

it ain't fair!
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.