Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Juha Saarinen in this weeks Listener on Spyware

He "offers the following tips to keep yourself safe online":

Install AV software......trust reputable vendors only such as McAfee or Norton.

Install a personal firewall. This is standard with most computers.

Use security updates form MS...

Keep backups.

Use 2 factor ID for internet banking.

Thats it.

No mention of anti-spyware.
    Apparently NOD32, AVG, Avast etc are complete rubbish.
    And have you all found your standard firewall that came with your PC?

Default Re: Juha Saarinen in this weeks Listener on Spyware

...and he was smoking what?
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

I think it'd be reasonable to assume that Juha is writing to a broad audience, of both experienced and inexperienced PC users.

The experienced amongst us will know there's more to it than just what he's written - no need to knock him for that.

The inexperienced will at least be given a drip-feed of info to make a start at keeping their systems clean and secure. If what they read isn't adequate then it's a fairly simple human nature thing to enquire further.

It's hard to imagine that an all-in-one solution for all PC and Internet issues can be found from any single magazine article, and there's always the mag's editors who may have trimmed and edited his contribution for whatever reason - paper and ink costs maybe.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

The inexperienced will at least be given a drip-feed of info to make a start at keeping their systems clean and secure. If what they read isn't adequate then it's a fairly simple human nature thing to enquire further.
    Every single person I see with spyware says "why weren't we told about it?"

Most of them wouldn't think to enquire further because some expert just told them all they need is Nortons and "the firewall that comes with their PC".

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Maybe he's on Norton's payroll...d'yah think?

But he's on the head here:

"....Much to the dismay of Microsoft opponents, the IT giant is forging ahead at full steam despite allegedly being pecked to death by penguins, people switching to Macs and nobody buying Windows Vista. Although some revenue was deferred from October, Microsoft racked up US$14.4 billion in revenue for the last quarter. In overly-strong Kiwi dollars, that's $19.5 billion."
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 14-08-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

It's a sidebar to the main article, and your precis of it makes it out to be much worse that it is. Spyware is never mentioned. I agree he should have included it, but why call this thread 'JS on spyware' when that is NOT what the article is about?.

Install AV - the rest if the paragraph "...Trust reputable vendors only such as McA or Nortons, as a common virus tactic is to offer "free" security checks".
    Given the brevity of the article, not banging on about NOD32 and the rest doesn't seem unreasonable, and the above advice is sound for newbies seeing 'security warning' webpage ads flashing everywhere.

Most pcs DO have a firewall - the windows firewall. Probably a good idea for many to install another one, but I get along fine without, and once again, this sidebar is hardly the place for telling people how to install and debug a 3rd party firewall. The statement is accurate.

The second part contains things not to do - opening suspicious emails, replying to spam, opening unknown files.

For a short bullet-point article in a general readership magazine, it's fine IMO.
    Last edited by mmmork; 14-08-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Ahhh The Power OF AMD intel hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    He "offers the following tips to keep yourself safe online":
    [I]
    Install AV software......trust reputable vendors only such as McAfee or Norton.
    I worked on a computer yesterday, an Acer and it came with Vista Home Basic & Norton Security Suite on it. It ran like a dog with two legs missing as it only had 512mb ram and 128 of that was used by the on board video. What make me fume is that companies like Acer, actually think that by putting Norton on (which I think is the closest thing to a virus) it will actually run. But thats only my thoughts, others may disagree.
    "The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him." Anon

A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.- Bertrand de Juvenal

Quote Originally Posted by intel hunter View Post
    I worked on a computer yesterday, an Acer and it came with Vista Home Basic & Norton Security Suite on it. It ran like a dog with two legs missing as it only had 512mb ram and 128 of that was used by the on board video. What make me fume is that companies like Acer, actually think that by putting Norton on (which I think is the closest thing to a virus) it will actually run. But thats only my thoughts, others may disagree.
    Disagree??? noooo. Im with you 110%!
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by intel hunter View Post
    yeah its pretty stupid IMO

i currently have my granddad's PC at home fixing it as it is crammed with spyware and viruses - all with Norton internet security waving it all on through not even stopping any of it - all on a 2.4GHZ celeron and 256mb ram - talk about power on the Pc and walk off to mow the lawns while it boots

so after i removed norton and put AVG on - it runs incredibly smoothly for 256mb ram
    "Your glass is empty O'Flaherty, will you be having another?"
    "And why would I be wanting two empty glasses?" replied O'Flaherty.

PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by mmmork View Post
    It's a sidebar to the main article, Spyware is never mentioned.
    Yes the main article on the page is about some guy who while getting his photos printed online, and paying by credit card, had his number pinched and used.

He admitted his PC was probably stuffed with spyware as he was an avid downloader, and he had gotten a keylogger.

Then Mr Juhas piece was down below where the what to do sidebar was.

And looky, looky, he doesn't even mention spyware.

Ok lets be fair and blame it on the Listeners editors who probably cut all his helpful advice to shorten it.

But if a magazine rang me to do a piece I'd make sure SPYWARE was mentioned 1000 times.