Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Efficient Cooling of your PC.

Just noticed that there have been a few questions over the past few days related to cooling so i thought that i would start a thread on the subject.

The Main cause of overheating.
    1 - Is usually to do with a dirty interior of your pc
    2 - Not enough or correct placement of cooling fans
    3 - Incorrectly applied thermal paste to the cpu

1 - I clean the interior of my pc about every 3 - 4 weeks. This is a simple tasks as it is always pretty clean. Just use a small paintbrush and give everything a good brushing to remove all dust, then get a vacuum cleaner and set it to blow, and give everything a good blow out. Works well and pc remains very clean.

2 - For those of use, how still use good old fans to cool our case, we have to remember to place these correctly. My personal setup is, a 120mm fan sucking air in from the front of the case, the air blows over my hard drives and keeps them cool. 2 fans on the side of my case both blowing air onto the motherboard etc. fan on cpu, and gpu. 2 fans at the back sucking all the hot air out of the case.
    Works a dream. When placing fans in a case, it is important to place them correctly, have 3 fans blowing into your case is no good, cos there is nothing pulling all that hot air out. Keep the air flow moving, which is why my setup is as it is, blowing in from the front and sides, and pulling it out at the back.

3 - Thermal paste should definatly be applied between the cpu and the heatsink. Allows for good conduction of heat from the cpu to the heatsink. It is better to have not enough than too much. To much paste will ooze out the sides and cause other issues.
    if your cpu is overheating, this would most likely be the cause.

Look forward to hearing what the rest of you use to cool your pc's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Thats a good idea,and everybody should be whipped if they disagree.
    We like to live on the edge.

Default Re: Efficient Cooling of your PC.

So thats 7 fans plus the PSU.
    Should hum along nicely.

Good Artice Demonhunter, all 100% good advice.

One thing you may want to add in is, keep the wiring and ribbons / cables tidy and do not obstruct airflow.

No point in stopping all that good cooling if its being bounced around cabling.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Good Artice Demonhunter, all 100% good advice.

One thing you may want to add in is, keep the wiring and ribbons / cables tidy and do not obstruct airflow.

No point in stopping all that good cooling if its being bounced around cabling.
    ah yes, when i posted it i was thinking that there was something that i had forgotten to mention. Cheers for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter View Post
    ..... have 3 fans blowing into your case is no good, cos there is nothing pulling all that hot air out.......
    nope. not necessarily so.

a front fan will push air in which of course means air gets pushed out the vents at the back. eg most normal pc's have rear fans (because its quieter) which suck air through the case via the front case vents.

you make absolutely no mention of matching flow rates or air circulation.
    eg its pointless having more air getting blown in at the front if your not blowing it out the back. the in air needs to match the out air. otherwise the fans will not perform well and be noisy.

with circulation you need to watch where the air flows and try to avoid any dead spots where air doesn't move much. this is where front fans are good, it fires a fair bit of air across the bottom over the cards.

side fans, i'm not a fan off (no pun intended). they are great IF they are sealed to the cpu fan (which also means the fan isn't required). however as a case fan they are only good as a stirrer fan which generally doesn't do a lot of you have a decent cooling setup. they are more flashy gizmo to keep young ones amused.

basic mistakes........ fans wrong way around shortcutting each other or fighting each other.
    big fans but grills/case can't flow enough to keep up with it. no point having 2x80mm rear fans but only 1x80mm inlet hole.
    not matching fans.... no point having 100cfm fans at the front and only 50cfm fans at the rear.

lastly using a vacuum cleaner on very static sensitive boards is generally a big no-no. a simply brush and 'can of air' works fine.
    Tweak it till it breaks

im sorry but i disagree with some of what you have to say. When i said that 3 fans blowing into the case is no good, did you stop to think about where you could position these fans on the average case? front, back, side? no good -right?
    You actually contradict yourself later on in the post by saying that the cfm ratio should be the same for air going in and air going out. but you just said that three fans blowing in with none sucking out wouldn't be too bad? ok. lol

While you may think that side fans are no big deal it depends entirely how you have positioned them. I have one of my fans blowing directly onto my 3 gb of ram, and it serves it purpose very well indeed - keeps the ram cool.
    The other side fan is directed at the north-bridge and gfx card. This also works really well to keep the card cooler when overclocking it - i wouldn't like to only rely on the gfx cards fan.

i don't see why a vacuum cleaner set to blow gently, and held from a distance to blow the air away from inside the case is going to cause any trouble. I didin't mean getting the cleaner actually in on the case and giving it a really hard close-up blow. i agree, that would be bad.

anyway, this is a discussion, not a 'im right and you're wrong' thread so yea.
    look forward to hearing what else you have to say

J
    The Main cause of overheating.
    1 - Is usually to do with a dirty interior of your pc
    Well I disagree with that one.

I've seen dust buildup stop RAM from working.

But my son used to have the filthest, hairiest dust ball in NZ and it never had an overheating problem.
    His side fan would complain occasionally, the poor thing was so clogged with cat fur and general filth.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Well I disagree with that one.

I've seen dust buildup stop RAM from working.

But my son used to have the filthest, hairiest dust ball in NZ and it never had an overheating problem.
    His side fan would complain occasionally, the poor thing was so clogged with cat fur and general filth.
    care to share with us what you think is one of the main causes then?

personally, all the computers that i have worked on, always run a lot cooler when they have had the 8 inches of dust removed from the interior of the case lol.

Sorry pctek - no offence meant here, so please dont take this wrong,its meant in fun

Quote: the poor thing was so clogged with cat fur - but I got this sudden vision of a PC all completely covered in fuzzy cat hair, a big fur ball if you will at the desk LOL I do know what you mean though, seen it many times.

Serious note though, I have seen many ( and I'm sure any technician has) CPU fans / heat sinks full and clogged with rubbish, causing over heating.

As for blowing out PC's I use a compressor, with an air filter attached to the line to stop any mositure, on low pressure to gently blow out the rubbish as well as a small paintbrush.

Mind you with the wind in wellington sometimes I've been tempted just to put it out side LOL
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-08-2007 at 08:33 PM.

im sorry but i disagree with some of what you have to say. When i said that 3 fans blowing into the case is no good, did you stop to think about where you could position these fans on the average case? front, back, side? no good -right?
    You actually contradict yourself later on in the post by saying that the cfm ratio should be the same for air going in and air going out. but you just said that three fans blowing in with none sucking out wouldn't be too bad? ok. lol
    nice try, but no cigar
    rear fans without front fans is fine. rear fans with to small front fans is bad. sounds a bit werid? thats usually because fans can get in the way of airflow. ie the small fans actually choke the output a bit. basicly there is no advantage in running them so you might as well leave them out and the pc will be quieter.

eg, fitting BIG hiflowing front fans to a pc that has standard rear fans is a waste of $$$ and increases noise with little increase in airflow.
    While you may think that side fans are no big deal it depends entirely how you have positioned them. I have one of my fans blowing directly onto my 3 gb of ram, and it serves it purpose very well indeed - keeps the ram cool.
    The other side fan is directed at the north-bridge and gfx card. This also works really well to keep the card cooler when overclocking it - i wouldn't like to only rely on the gfx cards fan.
    but have you actually checked to see if the side fan is actually blowing air onto the ram etc ??
    i've seen side fans have air comeing out through them backwoulds and others where the side flow is to small, it just gets sucked straight to the rear fans (ie a shortcircut).
    what i have done before (used to be a comman mod years ago) was to mount a fan inside the case right above the cards/ram/etc (ie 10mm away from it) tp force air around the cards. these days they mount them on the side of the case to get the cooler external air but it requires ducting to the part otherwise the front to back airflow simply pushes it away from the cards/ram/etc.
    Tweak it till it breaks