Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What power do teachers and school staff have?

An interesting scenario came up in conversation this evening.
    What power do school staff have outside school (ie after school hours, outside the premises)?
    Situation: 7th form boy is walking home. His shirt is untucked (lets not get into debate about the shirt people!), staff member drives past, stops and issues the student with an after school detention.
    My thoughts were the school can punish whenever they see fit during school hours, like issue a detention etc. However, when someone is outside of the school, don't they have the right to, let's say, express themselves in a way that abides by the law?
    Thought it was interesting. The scenario was just an example.

If you have a point, justify it please.
    OS X + Ubuntu + Windows | www.twitter.com/jeremybank

Default Re: What power do teachers and school staff have?

They're probably allowed to do (mentioned somewhere in the school rules, whatever), but the teacher would be such a **** by doing that.

The school has legal responsibility for students from the moment they leave their home, to when they get back (theoretically). Of course this is tricky in situations where students don't actually go home straight after school.

Quote Originally Posted by jermsie View Post
    An interesting scenario came up in conversation this evening.
    What power do school staff have outside school (ie after school hours, outside the premises)?
    Situation: 7th form boy is walking home. His shirt is untucked (lets not get into debate about the shirt people!), staff member drives past, stops and issues the student with an after school detention.
    My thoughts were the school can punish whenever they see fit during school hours, like issue a detention etc. However, when someone is outside of the school, don't they have the right to, let's say, express themselves in a way that abides by the law?
    Thought it was interesting. The scenario was just an example.

If you have a point, justify it please.
    By law if the student is still in School uniform, then the school is responsible
    for him until he gets home. Same thing in the morning as well. So he is still
    under school rules until he gets home.
    WARNING
    CONTENT OF THIS POST MAY OFFEND
    VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Peripatetic member

The scenario you chose was about school uniform.
    That's not like other forms of "self-expression."

Most schools with uniforms have rules about wearing them as they were intended.
    A pupil who flouts those rules - to or from school or anywhere the uniform is supposed to be worn - is of course open to getting a punishment.
    No point in having a rule about uniforms unless it can be enforced, surely?

Whether you agree with that regulation it or not is another matter...

(In my own high school days a century or so ago, I had to wear a hat, a tie & gloves.
    And if any of those were missing, it was thought that I looked scruffy & was letting the school down. That's not to say, I always DID - just that I knew there'd be trouble if I got caught...)

So are you talking simply about uniforms - or have you any other scenarios?

A pupil who flouts those rules - to or from school or anywhere the uniform is supposed to be worn - is of course open to getting a punishment.
    Funny that, If you refuse the punishment then the entire thing falls over. They can't lay a hand on you, cant stop you coming and going as you please, cant force you to do anything against your will.

Sure, It doesn't work that well....unless a group of kids try it on, and we are breeding that generation right now.

There are already school where the teachers go through the motions and do their best not to upset the students, just so the day is done and they can go home without incident.
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    The scenario you chose was about school uniform.
    That's not like other forms of "self-expression."

Most schools with uniforms have rules about wearing them as they were intended.

Whether you agree with that regulation it or not is another matter...

(In my own high school days a century or so ago, I had to wear a hat, a tie & gloves.
    And if any of those were missing, it was thought that I looked scruffy & was letting the school down. That's not to say, I always DID - just that I knew there'd be trouble if I got caught...)

So are you talking simply about uniforms - or have you any other scenarios?
    Cell phone being used after dismissal approaching school gates? This is from a friend who goes to a boys school in Chch. I guess this is within the school itself so I can understand punishment although it apparently says in the school rules, off and out of sight during school hours.

Legally, what rights would a student have regarding confiscation of personal property? This is side-stepping a bit..
    OS X + Ubuntu + Windows | www.twitter.com/jeremybank

As long as the student is in school uniform, or if in mufti (from the moment they leave home in am, till after school pm) the school is responsible to a certain degree. They can do whatever (just about) they like to make sure that their school rules are adhered to. So, if the use of cellphones is prohibited by the school rules, then yes, it may be confiscated.

Peripatetic member

Quote Originally Posted by jermsie View Post
    Cell phone being used after dismissal approaching school gates? This is from a friend who goes to a boys school in Chch. I guess this is within the school itself so I can understand punishment although it apparently says in the school rules, off and out of sight during school hours.

Legally, what rights would a student have regarding confiscation of personal property? This is side-stepping a bit..
    That's not "side-stepping a bit." It's a totally different can of worms with different answers - depending on the "personal property."

e.g If the school says" No cellphones to be brought here," a teacher can presumably confiscate one. The same with other items there are school rules about.
    But if it's a gun, I doubt that anyone needs to quote a rule before confiscating that...

Over 65

Mercifully, I am now retired - I don't even do relief teaching any more.

If I caught a kid with a cellphone in the class room, and it wasn't being used, I would say, "If I see that again, I will notice it. If I notice it, I will have to confiscate it". On the other hand, if the cell phone was in use, I made them switch if off to save the battery, and then took it off them. That usually did the trick. Same with jewelery - the second time I would say, "I am sorry, but I have just noticed that, so you will have to hand it over". I tried to be pleasant about it and it seemed to avoid any confrontation.

Jim