morgenmuffel

Default 2 javascript scripts needed, count up for text field and hide for text field

Yes i know i can look for them at places such as hot scripts, The reason i ask here is that there is a massive selection so i would rather use a script that is recommended by someone who has actually used it and isn't trying to sell it

Script 1

A script that counts the number of characters entered into a text field, simple enough you might say, but i can't find any that count up

Script 2
    //edit hmm found one just after writing this, sods blinkin law

A hide show script
    I have been asked to do a form with everything on the same page, the problem is there are multiple choices for questions (using radio button) and some of these answers have subquestions depending on the initial answer, and the page will end up rather large, so what i want to do is hide the subquestions until someone selects the relevant radio button answer and then have them appear beneath, i also can't figure how to apply the javascript to the radio button, as i have seen sites that implement this but you think that for the life of me i can find one now whaen i am looking for one
    Last edited by Morgenmuffel; 07-08-2007 at 11:04 AM.
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Default Re: 2 javascript scripts needed, count up for text field and hide for text field

hey, a small question before i go answering this:
    for Script 1:
    Do you want this on-the-fly? i.e. when a user is typing in characters, do you want it to be updating the number of characters as each character is entered, or do you just want a 'total characters' function that counts the number of characters in the text box when the user has finished typing and clicked 'word count' or something?
    Script 3
    much the same as above, do you want the next option to automatically appear after they select an option or do they have to click a 'submit' button first?

also, what developing environment are you working in? irrelevant to the questions, just wanting to know. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Thats a good idea,and everybody should be whipped if they disagree.
    We like to live on the edge.

Default Re: 2 javascript scripts needed, count up for text field and hide for text field

did you find the answers, or what? still waiting to hear from you before i will post answers.

morgenmuffel

Sorry about the delay, I can't figure out how to automatically subscribe to posts I make

Anyhow

On the fly for both of them is fairly essential

as for developing environment dreamweaver MX going into a php based site
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

ok, kewl. ill get to work and post as soon as done.
    for the third script something like:

If checkbox1.option1 = checked Then
    checkbox2.show = true
    Else checkbox3.show...

and so on and so forth right?
    kewl

morgenmuffel

Hi Demonhunter

I have just found a hide show script (from apple of all places), i had actually written one years ago but that was 3 houses, 3 computers and 4 harddrives ago so i have been having difficulty locating it,

It's mainly the count up thing that i am having issues with, I have written a very basic backend for a Flash/XML slideshow so that the user can change the images, captions, links and the text size and colour,
    The issue is that if they select a big text size they can't have heaps of characters, the easiest way for them to do this is that the text input field counts the characters so when they have finished enetering the text they want they will be able to select an appropriate size

ok, am working on it.
    Personally haven't worked with javascript before, but have used Visual Basic extensively, and have recently started using Java, C# and C++.
    The javascript syntax is naturally a little different and am just trying to get it all working correctly!
    Language changes are kinda irritating ae, like if you needed this in Visual Basic i could have the answer is seconds, but learning a new syntax..... well yea! a bit of fun!