Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: credit cards

Default credit cards

which credit card do you guys use and why ? is it for the low interest or the reward points or because it's the one your bank offers ?

i heard on the radio the other day about this fella who flew lots and lots and he travels first class always and 50% of it is through amex reward points - obviously he spends hell of alot but it got me thinking...

Banned

Default Re: credit cards

As long as you can control your own finances reward points are a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by winmacguy View Post
    As long as you can control your own finances reward points are a great idea.
    totally agree and have no issues with the current one. wondering if anybody rates certain reward points above others. I currently use national bank cash back which doesn't work out too bad.

Wanderer

I have a gold card b/c its free travel insurance if you use the card to pay for it.

I pay the balance off each time.
    Yeah, the interest free time of any c/c. Buy now pay later without interests.
    Do I go for lowest interest - no mine is 19.95%.
    Do I go for longest free interest - no.
    Do I go for lowest fee - no.

I can I get a platinum card but its the same thing, with more fees and more options if you pay such as book a taxi or a hotel just before you leave or get someone to pick you up, or translate .. concierege sevices or something... I didn't get this, these days if you get gold you get platinum, BNZ used to be invitation only and these days its apply and you get for just $250yr fee, before it was $500 or something....

In terms of points, yeah if you fly first class you get more points and stuff. But I cannot justify first class over economy class just for the points. Qantas is easier to get points than AirNZ since they went to Airpoint Dollars. AirNZ is harder for intl holidays, but to Aussie and Islands when specials are abundant freq its easier for AirNZ (and within NZ). For this reason sooner I gonna go with Qantas. Qantas points dont expire while AirNZ does (it doesn't if you have a Platinum card by BNZ) but Qantas even blue doesn't expire and from my maths if you want to see Asia, America, Europe, the points are easier to get with Qantas.

If you fly regularly, if one spends c/c for food and stuff and usual outings and a international trip each yr and live budgetly, within 5 yrs (5 trips to Asia or beyond) expect a free Asian trip with Qantas, but don't expect with AirNZ but you may get $900 Airpoint Dollars.

I use a National Bank Thouroughbred card, for the 1% cashback reward scheme. I use the card for many business purchases (Trade Me, auction places etc) and also to pay for anything I can, for the cashback (petrol etc).

I put on about $3000-5000 per month and pay it off each month, or earlier if I reach the limit ($4000) before the end of the month, which I usually do.

I never pay any interest on it, so the rate of 19.95% doesn't bother me. The cashback points are quite significant, so I'm happy with it.

The fee is only $30 per year.

I very occasionally use it to purchase more computers than I have cash for, but more often I just spend money I already have in the bank through the CC to get the points.
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Wanderer

Quickest way is Flybuys/AirNZ/Global Plus credit card.
    Even better is ANZ c/c with a Qantas Freq Flyer. Use ANZ c/c for points as well when you go to certain stores like BP etc ...

Arguably AMEX is easier by people. Not sure. Fee is more I think. The AMEX loyalty programme requires money per yr or else you won't have a loyalty programme. So at the end I think its the same as any other c/c with more fees. If one is going to get a free trip each 5yrs .. those fees do build up .. I think its not as good as the others. I guess AMEX has their own airline and hotels .. but this is the AMEX card, not the AMEX via BNZ etc .. but having said that it is possible to convert points to Qantas and AirNZ (I think). At the end I think its more fees for the same thing (at best).

Banned

True rewards on ASB VISA works well.

I've had an ANZ Visa (Gold) for about 6-7 years - they've just upgraded me to Platinum. But as mentioned above, the QANTAS airpoints don't expire - my better half and I paid for a trip to Europe this time last year using the accumulated airpoints of the previous 6 years. I always pay the full balance on due date. Bugger paying 21.95%!!

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

We were brought up that if you can't pay for it now, you can't have it.

Nowdays I have one c/card that doubles as an eftpos card... very rarely use the cc part unless it's a big purchase, but always pay off by end of the month. I'd much rather pay 'cash' and screw them for a decent discount- more fun than hanging out for a 'free' toaster.

They keep trying to put the limit up on me and I'm sure the bank shake their head when I politely say no.
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

Anyone who pays 20% interest has got to be soft in the head.
    Jack GOF.