Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Once again NZ is one of the top phone txters

Hi Guys

I saw on tv the other day that once again NZ is just about the top country in the world to use mobile phone texting !

The idiots on the program thought this was great and showed that NZ was way up there in terms of new technology take up !

What they failed to realise that the real reason "we" are such big texters is that the cost of calling to mobiles is just about the highest in the world (aside from Zimbabwe and Mexico)

So the real reason is that "we" use texts to save money.

When I speak to overseas visitors from say Japan or Germany or Europe they cannot believe how much "we" text.

What can we do about it ?

I know the Commerce Commission is forcing lower Termination rates on the telcos, but that will not bring prices down much and will take several years for them to "implement" it.

I have a few ideas.

regards

Digby

Default Re: Once again NZ is one of the top phone txters

It simply isn't practical for a country like NZ to expect prices as low as in other places, where the population density is much higher. 4 million people spread over a huge land area of varying terrain isn't enough users to cover the costs involved in setting up and maintaining the equipment if prices were as low as in places such as Japan.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

C'mon guys...at least you're not having to send smoke signals.

Do you realize that there are great areas in the US that don't even have DSL or reliable cellphone service?

You might argue that those places are pretty distant and way out in the tulies..but it ain't so, as a few of friends here in this same county where I live cannot get such services, and if you go to Idyllwild which is just 11 miles away, almost the whole trip is under the umbra of no signal at all; even broadcast radio, AM or FM, not to mention television don't make the trip.

Your cost problem might just be greed and lack of financial interest on behalf of the providers...but you are pretty well covered there I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    C'mon guys...at least you're not having to send smoke signals.

Do you realize that there are great areas in the US that don't even have DSL or reliable cellphone service?
    Just as an aside

I remember seeing a MacGuyer episode way back in the late 80's it was daughters fave tv program. And some bad guys were out in the desert and they called their boss up on their mobile phones ! - which made me laugh back then.

Regards

Digby

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Actually, we had some very good phone service in rather desolate areas when we used analog cells.

They'd punch thru even with a little static where a digital quits when it gets a scratchy signal or won't even allow the communication at all. McGyver's time was that analog era..so it might be believable.

I used to laugh at the people who had to stop on vacations or road trips at various colored rocks, picnic tables or "X'd" spots on the road or sidewalk.

The local talented people would paint a rock purple or so to signify where they could get a strong phone signal. Funny to see groups of tourists all waiting to climb up on a huge rock for their turn to talk on their phones!

Theres nothing that can be done about it

Accept the fact that NZ is 'third world' country when compared to other western countries in the developed category.

Thats why everyone is jumping the ship to Aussie or just about any other developed country. NZ can never be competitive with other economy powerhouses - it simply does not have enough population base to support the levels of 'cheapness' every kiwi desires.

Its taking commerce commission to make the Telecos lower their fees which just goes to show there is no natural competition, and at all levels of economic sector/activity some watchdog needs to be involved before anything happens for the ordinary NZers

The only way NZ can achive what we see in Aust/Canada/USA/Europe is to gain technological advantage (besides increasing birthrate) e.g Make Aeroplanes, have a Kiwi Auto industry...yeah i know not every nation needs to build planes to be competitive but NZ needs MUCH more grunt to keep it going besides putting up 100% pure billboard posters

And i cant see any of the above happening at least for another century.

Yup i am so -ve but thats what i see.
    Last edited by xpcoe; 31-07-2007 at 01:48 AM.

Peripatetic member

So when are you leaving & where are you going?

So xpcoe tells the truth and suddenly he's unpatriotic? He's absolutely right on every count. NZ seriously needs to gain a competitive edge somewhere. If you can't see that, well that might explain a lot of the problems.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax34 View Post
    So xpcoe tells the truth and suddenly he's unpatriotic? He's absolutely right on every count. NZ seriously needs to gain a competitive edge somewhere. If you can't see that, well that might explain a lot of the problems.
    Yes I agree.

I am in my mid fifties and I have always thought since my early twenties that we should have a much bigger population here in NZ.

A bigger populations makes for economies of scale for manufacturers, distributors, you only need one fat cat CEO for each major corporation and there would be more people to pay their salary.

We only need one road from Auckland to Wellington and there would be more people to pay for it.

Artists, Musicians, Creative people have a bigger audience and would be less likely to need to go overseas.

NZ is about the same size as the UK and Japan and we only have 4 million people. We have less people than Holland or Belgium and they have 3 times the population !

Of course we do not want all new people to go to Auckland.

And we need good quality migrants, educated with some skills.

Unfortunately no government ever comes out with a population target they just say they are "setting this years targets, - which often is offset by he numbers leaving !

Regards

Digby

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    So when are you leaving & where are you going?
    Actually I left 2 months ago and residing in Seattle now.

The first pleasant surprise i got here when i arrived was Broadband prices here go by connection speed and involve no data cap whatsoever. So I pay
    pay $40 for 7Mbps and download to my hearts content !

Secondly i got mobile from Sprint (The same company that provides Telecom NZ their phones & Technology) and got 1000 Minutes for $60/month.
    Plus Sprint Mobile to Mobile is free anytime (bit like calling from Vodafone mobile to Vodafone mobile for no charge whatsoever and talking as long as you like). Not to mention its unlimited calling weekends and nights anywhere in US...yup those 1000 min only count for peak period and the rest of time its FREE!! Theres no distinction in US whether you calling a mobile or landline. Its the same

Vodafone offers similar one for $350/month!!! and does not include free unlimited calls during off peak etc

The only things thats relatively expensive currently here is Mobile Data plans but even that its coming down, quite similar to what the current land based broadband prices situation is in NZ. However Free wireless broadband seems to be a norm in major cities and malls. Everyone uses it for FREE at airport/motel/coffeshops/cities/major parks/even Buses....dunno when will Auck city council decide to at least provide free wireless BB in Stagecoach

And it really boils down to economies of scale like Digby said and if a country lacks that then it needs to make up by gaining competetive edge in major economic sectors for e.g technology. Of course NZ has some edge in someways hence being a developed country but has a very long way to go in achieving the parity with other developed nations so that common NZers see it in their daily lives

I think NZ is still great for its beauty/lifestyle/kiwi hospitality compared to US and i would return someday perhaps as a retiree but theres just so much NZ lags otherwise which you realize and see once u leave for overseas

I am not trying to diss NZ but its just amazing when u see the huge differences.
    Last edited by xpcoe; 03-08-2007 at 03:49 AM.