Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Help with buying a laptop

Hi

I'm looking at getting a laptop for university next year. I'd like to be able to play games on it as well as doing projects and research. So I'll need all the obvious things like; it being fairly light, haveing a nice keyboard, a few USB ports, ports for a keyboard and mouse to be attached, printer and scanner port and one of those so you can connect it to a monitor, an inbuilt webcam, DVD-RW, and light scribe would be pretty cool, but not necessary. I'll need WiFi too. Any other suggestions of what I'll need?

Price isn't too important.

At Harvey Norman they recommended the Asus G1 notebook.

Could anyone recommended a good laptop, tell me if that is a good one from Harvey Norman, and tell me what system specs I need.

Thanks heaps!!

Mike!

Banned

Default Re: Help with buying a laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Tribomb View Post
    Hi

I'm looking at getting a laptop for university next year. I'd like to be able to play games on it as well as doing projects and research. So I'll need all the obvious things like; it being fairly light, haveing a nice keyboard, a few USB ports, ports for a keyboard and mouse to be attached, printer and scanner port and one of those so you can connect it to a monitor, an inbuilt webcam, DVD-RW, and light scribe would be pretty cool, but not necessary. I'll need WiFi too. Any other suggestions of what I'll need?

Price isn't too important.

At Harvey Norman they recommended the Asus G1 notebook.

Could anyone recommended a good laptop, tell me if that is a good one from Harvey Norman, and tell me what system specs I need.

Thanks heaps!!

Mike!
    What is your specific price bracket?
    Sub $1000
    $1001-$1500
    $1501-$2000
    $2001-$2500
    $2501-$3000
    $3001+

The most lightweight PC laptop I know of is the Sony VIAO. What subjects will you be majoring in at Uni?

Price isn't too important. The one at Harvey Norman is $3800 and my family didn't seem too worried about that price. Whatever you think will give me the best of all I said I need it for, and anything else I might need it for that I've overlooked.

Mmmmmmmm.............Kate Tukapa's Avatar

Price isn't too important. The one at Harvey Norman is $3800 and my family didn't seem too worried about that price.

They can buy me one while they are at it!

http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info...6ece16c2a90097
    Asus P8Z77-V LK, Core i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3 1600, 128GB SSD, 12TB HDD, GeForce GTX660 Ti 2GB, Blu-ray writer, Enermax 750W PSU, Coolermaster CM 690 II Case, Windows 8 Professional

Banned

Price isn't too important. The one at Harvey Norman is $3800 and my family didn't seem too worried about that price. Whatever you think will give me the best of all I said I need it for, and anything else I might need it for that I've overlooked.
    Will you be studying
    engineering
    Design
    Computer Sci
    Business

You should be able to get a decent PC laptop for around $2000 anything else is probably a gross overkill when you start going over $2500 for PC Lappies, even a MacBook is still around $2000 incl.

$2000-$2500 for a PC laptop should be ample even for PC gaming which would ideally be done on a desktop. With regards to brand of PC lap top, probably an Asus although everyone on this forum seems to have their favourites.
    Last edited by winmacguy; 27-05-2007 at 07:35 PM.

I'm doing Health Sciences First Year in Otago, so thats a combination of all sciences I think. I need a laptop Vs home PC as I don't live there, and will be living in a student dorm (Which are about as big as a shoe box..)

Banned

Well good choice and good luck with your studies. I think a 2-2500k laptop should be absolutely ample for your needs. If anything you could possibly spend a bit more on either RAM or the CPU although I would think that you would be too buisy with study and papers to worry about gaming.

Personally if i was going to spend over 3k an a laptop I would get a 15 inch MacBook Pro but that is because I prefer Mac OS X to PCs.

If you get a laptop with Vista, you will need 1GB RAM minimum or you could get a copy of XP Pro SP2 and install that instead which would be much better value with a much greater set of apps than what is available and stable for Vista. XP runs better on 1GB RAM than Vista.

Damn, I need one as well lol. All i need is a $1500 one, maybe as a Christmas present?
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

Banned

If there is any left over maybe Tribomb's parents could spare a few dollars

Correct my English!

I'm doing Health Sciences First Year in Otago, so thats a combination of all sciences I think. I need a laptop Vs home PC as I don't live there, and will be living in a student dorm (Which are about as big as a shoe box..)
    Papers for HSFY at Otago University for those who are interested:

* BIOC192: Foundations of Biochemistry
    * CELS191: Cell and Molecular Biology
    * CHEM191: The Chemical Basis of Biology and Human Health
    * HEAL192: Foundations of Epidemiology
    * HUBS191: Human Body Systems I
    * HUBS192: Human Body Systems II
    * PHSI191: Biological Physics

Tribomb, I am not sure if DSE still sell them, but I am happily using Asus Z92T laptop at the moment. It has 1GB RAM, AMD TL52 X2, Lightscribe, WiFi, 4 USB ports, in-built webcam and DVD +/- drive - all for $2098. The OS is XP Pro.

Are you going for medicine in the second year? Good luck with that if you are!

Cheers

P.S. I am doing BPharmacy first year at The University of Auckland
    Last edited by Renmoo; 29-05-2007 at 02:13 AM.

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!