Thread: Mini Crash

Default Mini Crash

A Strange problem. When I open a folder containing certain .avi and .mpg video files, my screen flashes and looses all desktop items for a second. It then recovers. The folder that was open is no longer open and some items are missing from the notification area.

I have found that changing the four cc code of the avi can stop this, however this doesn't apply to the .mpg.

any thoughts?
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe, AMD 64X2 6000+, 2Gb DDR2 800, 320Mb Asus EN8800GTS, iCute S901-BB 5G Tower, iCute 600W Modular PSU. LOL iCute.

Default Re: Mini Crash

What's your defalut media player?

EDIT: The PC in your sig is almost identical to mine!
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Windows Media Player 11.

I have no problem opening or playing them through this. It is only when I open the folder where they are stored.

Edit: Updated sig for ya.
    Last edited by jonboy; 18-07-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe, AMD 64X2 6000+, 2Gb DDR2 800, 320Mb Asus EN8800GTS, iCute S901-BB 5G Tower, iCute 600W Modular PSU. LOL iCute.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    A Strange problem. When I open a folder containing certain .avi and .mpg video files, my screen flashes and looses all desktop items for a second. It then recovers. The folder that was open is no longer open and some items are missing from the notification area.
    That would be explorer crashing & restarting itself.

Possibly caused by a corrupt .avi file. I've had a few before that cause explorer to use 100% CPU when going into the folder, but not crash. Once deleted the folder opened ok.

Are you viewing the folder in thumbnail mode or list/other? If thumbnail, it could be the codec causing the crash when explorer tries to render the thumbnail from the video.

Quote Originally Posted by autechre View Post
    That would be explorer crashing & restarting itself.

Possibly caused by a corrupt .avi file. I've had a few before that cause explorer to use 100% CPU when going into the folder, but not crash. Once deleted the folder opened ok.

Are you viewing the folder in thumbnail mode or list/other? If thumbnail, it could be the codec causing the crash when explorer tries to render the thumbnail from the video.
    Hey thanks. You got it in one. When opened in list view I have no problems.

Does any one know a fix fore this except what I have already done?