Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Late Learner

Default July PC World DVD

Received my copy of PC World today which included the DVD of a variety of programs including a game demo of 'Attack on Pearl Harbour'
    I installed it and tried to play the game but it comes up the message 'Missing d3dx9_30.dll, Install DirectX from the CD'. Press enter and it comes up with 'Missing xinput1_3.dll. Install Direct X from CD'
    I did this, did a restart and attempted to play it again but it still comes up with the same message.
    Any ideas what the problem could be??

Default Re: July PC World DVD

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Received my copy of PC World today which included the DVD of a variety of programs including a game demo of 'Attack on Pearl Harbour'
    I installed it and tried to play the game but it comes up the message 'Missing d3dx9_30.dll, Install DirectX from the CD'. Press enter and it comes up with 'Missing xinput1_3.dll. Install Direct X from CD'
    I did this, did a restart and attempted to play it again but it still comes up with the same message.
    It did exactly the same to me so I uninstalled it and gave up.

Search the net for it and download it and stick it in the system32 directory and all will work. There are multiple versions of the file and some games look for specific ones.

Didn't buy PCW this month.
    Looked at the DVD on the front and lost interest. Bloody Linux again.
    MOST PEOPLE USE WINDOWS!!!!
    Jack GOF.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJ View Post
    Didn't buy PCW this month.
    Looked at the DVD on the front and lost interest. Bloody Linux again.
    MOST PEOPLE USE WINDOWS!!!!
    Hmm strange... I'm sure there are MORE Windows software appz than Linux one on the DVD. Here's a tip... don't boot the DVD in your drive when you startup your PC that way you don't have to see Linux.

As an aside to your comments regarding Linux and strange as it may seem to you... but commercial operational knowledge of Linux is a very much sort after skill. Whilst most companies run Windows as their desktop frontends... you will find the back office servers have a number of Linux iinstallations.. especially Red Hat/Fedora.

Cheers

PS: and just to show my arrogance... your reason for not buying the magazine is probably the DUMBEST I have ever heard

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post

. Whilst most companies run Windows as their desktop frontends... you will find the back office servers have a number of Linux iinstallations.. especially Red Hat/Fedora.

PS: and just to show my arrogance... your reason for not buying the magazine is probably the DUMBEST I have ever heard

Of course it's a dumb reason.But I made my gesture. I'll probably buy it today.

I know most "back office" servers run on unix or linux. But I'll bet they didn't get it off a give-away DVD.
    Jack GOF.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJ View Post
    Of course it's a dumb reason.But I made my gesture. I'll probably buy it today.

I know most "back office" servers run on unix or linux. But I'll bet they didn't get it off a give-away DVD.
    What difference would it make if it DID come off a give-away DVD. support for most Linux offerings is available everywhere.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Download the latest version of DirectX from here (53MB file).

Despite Microsoft calling DX9.0c the latest version (which is included in XP SP2), it does get updated every couple of months without the "official" version number being increased.

Quote Originally Posted by autechre View Post
    Download the latest version of DirectX from here (53MB file).

Despite Microsoft calling DX9.0c the latest version (which is included in XP SP2), it does get updated every couple of months without the "official" version number being increased.
    It has nothing to do with having the latest version of DirectX. You need the file that is missing and the lastest version may still not put it there. Just simply use Google to search for the dll and put it in your system32 folder along with all the other d3d*.dll files. There are a couple of other demos that also require different versions you will need to do this with if you ever use them.

I've come across a number of games that will give a file not found error if they dont have the latest DX installed despite the .dll files already sitting in the System32 folder.

There is no harm in downloading & installing it since the newest games will require it anyhow.