Unhappy HELP - Power socket issue

Hi all

Just looking for some help / advice . In February i purchased an acer laptop.
    Just the other week i noticed one day that the power socket was a bit dodgy, the power was plugged in but computer not recognising, with a bit of a wiggle i fixed the problem and was fine. Later that day when i pulled out the power cord and the pin from the power socket/barrel came out in the plug.

Logically assuming under warranty i took it in to be repaired. To my shock i found that this sort of catastrophic power failure is not covered under the acer warranty. The repair bill was first estimated at 150-200 NZ$. I was upset at this was not the end of the world. Now i get a call from the repair place saying they are going to have to replace the motherboard completely and its gonna cost $550 ! This is half the value of the laptop.

So i was wondering if anybody had any ideas on this, i was contemplating the possibility of gluing the pin back into the socket. maybe dabbing a bit of solder on the end of the pin, putting it in place and heating up the pin so the solder melts and makes a clean connection.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated. I am an engineering student, i obviously don't have too much money and figure if they are going 2 have to replace the whole mother board i might as well have a go at repairing it first.

Thanks Kindly

Shane

Default Re: HELP - Power socket issue

Welcome to PressF1 Shane.

[Edit - misread the post - retracting my comments]
    Last edited by somebody; 02-07-2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Misread post.

The laptop is less than 6 months old! Unless you've been hard on the plug, banged it badly or something, it should be covered either under the guarantee or under the goods and services act.

If you can cross your heart and say you didn't bugger it then suggest politely to them that you do not not feel it was your fault and mention the act, fair go... possibility of electrocution/shorting out etc... their conscience about your fried nerves etc.

Be polite but be persistent and you should get somewhere
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

Gummy,
    It seems highly unlikely that a simple mechanical failure such as you describe would need a motherboard replacement. You're right that a carefully executed repair job should be able to sort it out.
    However, if it has been *disassembled* in the repair shop it seems unlikely that you can now retrieve it in the same condition as it was when the original problem happened. Maybe something else fell off/broke/got bent during the disassembly - and not necessarily through any lack of care.
    Maybe you should go and look at the present condition of your laptop and talk to the original supplier about warranty?
    Either go where you're looking or look where you're going!

Thanks for the input guys. I think ill write to acer and explain the situation. There was no bang or yanking on the cord that resulted in the problem. Nothing out of the ordinary from laptop use.

So ill definitely write a letter to acer and mention the Consumer guarantees act etc, if they don't oblige maybe ill need to use/ mention fair go.

If theres no luck down that alley ill look into repairing it. I mean theres no way that you should have to replace the whole motherboard for one pin :s

Cheers!

If you're in NZ (which I guess you are by knowing about the CGA etc) remember that it is the retailer's responsibility 1st to cover the guarantee.

If it was me I would be putting the thumbscrews on them 1st and letting them know you are not happy and that there is a letter on the way to Acer.

I'm also guessing that they will be on the phone pretty quick to the service agent who has your laptop in bits.

It's really up to them to prove that you did some damage to the plug- not the other way around.

Agreed with all comments here so far.

As for the replacement of the motherboard, the service company is obviously just a "board replacer" and won't fix it down to component level - assuming they can even get the socket.
    A lot of these parts seem to be 'not available' as spares. You have to buy the whole board. It's done to stop people from repairing their products in the hope you'll buy a whole new machine.

I did a socket repair on an NEC LaVie notebook a few weeks ago - took me 4 hours to do it, and required a complete dis-assembly of the unit to get to the socket and the copper side of the mobo to resolder it.

4 hours at $75= $300.

Notebook manufacturers should surely realise by now that the DC socket is a weak and vulnerable point - and should be using something much more robust. You can get sockets with large pins in them that are far more reliable, but I suppose it comes down to economics.

My Toshiba M100 has a nice big butty DC socket and an equally butty plug - little chance of it breaking.

Doesn't surprise me.
    Either that the thing came out or that they stuffed you around.

Acer is known for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Acer is known for it.
    Which is why I got a Toshiba purely... totally on Pctek's say so (and I have to say, the build quality ain't half bad)

Now, should I buy a iphoney PCtek?

I know I can't use it in NZ... but it's shiney and it will piss Winmacguy off. I could use it as a doorstop once I've finished impressing my mates