Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mousepad woes

Default Mousepad woes

I purchased a mousepad last week (one of those ergonomic anti-RSI ones). Unfortunately it was a cheap no-name one, and I have since discovered that it has an incredibly strong smell of the chemicals used to produce rubber - like the smell of cheap rubber shoes.

In fact, the smell is so bad that I used it for about 15mins before deciding that the fumes were simply too severe to be safe for my health and wellbeing, so I aired it out for a couple of days, which didn't make any difference.

Then I decided to soak it in warm soapy water for about 10hrs, thoroughly washing and rinsing it before hanging it up to dry. It has certainly helped, but the smell seems to be still coming through, and transferring to my skin when I have my wrist on it.

So here's where I'm at:
    - It's not economically viable to return it because I paid next to nothing for it, and sending it back will be too costly.
    - To be honest, I can't be bothered dealing with the seller to try and get a refund.
    - I do not like the idea of inhaling the fumes coming from this mousepad, because I don't know what they are, or what they might be doing to me.

Given that, does anyone have any suggestions for how to clean it, to remove the smell? Otherwise, does anyone have any facts about mousepad-chemical-poisoning which may scare me into throwing this thing out right now? I am quite prepared to throw it out and buy a new one, but I'd rather try some suggestions first.

Default Re: Mousepad woes

You could try some heat. That may help clear out the odour faster. However, I wouldn't be keen to use it at all. If the chemical smell is that strong, then remember that where your wrist rests on it, your skin is nice and thin with a good blood supply near the surface ... who knows what is being absorbed into your body.

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

I would throw it and get a better named brand

You can mask the smell, but the chemicals are still going to be there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Thanks guys.

Normally I never use a mouse pad - my desk has a surface that is fine without bothering. But recently I noticed the mouse was misbehaving. I looked at it and saw that an old table mat had somehow found its way onto my desk and the mouse was sat on its shiny side. My desk was in its usual clutsy state and there just wasn't anywhere to put the offending mat so I turned it over and had the cork bottom uppermost.
    To my surprise I found I had the best mouse pad I have ever had (optical mouse)
    OK I don't use it because I cleared my desk up (do it every month or so whether it needs it or not!)
    Just thought I would pass this on as a useful tip.
    Tom

For me the only reason for wanting a mousepad is to prevent OOS - I've recently found myself spending more and more time in front of the computer (for work reasons), and have been experiencing some of the early symptoms of OOS. I'd rather not let it get to a point where it causes permanent injury.

Or get an optical mouse u wont need a mousepad.

Didnt know people still used mousepads.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Or get an optical mouse u wont need a mousepad.

Didnt know people still used mousepads.
    I don't know how clear I have to make myself: I have an optical mouse, and have had for the last 4 years. What I want a mousepad for is the wrist rest, for OSH reasons. I would be willing to just buy the gel-pad component of the mouse pad, if they existed.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post

For the record, I purchased this mousepad this afternoon. So far so good - it seems to work brilliantly, and doesn't smell of chemicals.