View Poll Results: Should the age limit for voting be dropped to 16?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 12.28%
  • No

    42 73.68%
  • Its just a way of garnering more votes

    8 14.04%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,416

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    Well I think itís a wonderful idea!

    Struth, when I was 16 I knew everything.

    My father was dumb, so I thought I would treat him like a computer and punch the information in but unfortunately suffered a couple of BSODíd and numerous re boots.

    Ahhhhh, if only Sue was my mother.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    I think its about time we introduced a cut off date for voters. Say 80? Then we won't have any more dementia-ridden idiots voting for national because they're still scared commies will take over the world.

    Seriously though, I'm glad this bill was introduced. It's nice to see that everyone has such a low opinion of youth. And you're all right. We sit round smoking pot, getting drunk, ditching school and having sex every second of every day. Oh and of course driving souped-up cars and starting fights.

    You all really need to get over yourselves. You call nearly everyone under 18 too immature to vote, but you're all too immature to distinguish media-hype from true reality.

    All this bill will do is introduce teenagers to civic education and the idea of voting at a younger age, so hopefully we will have a more motivated and informed population in the future.

    But lets ignore all that, Sue Bradford introduced this bill, and we don't like her, so it must be bad.



  3. #23
    Lets play Metla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mega City One
    Posts
    16,227

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    I was 18 once.

    Most us were at some time.

    Funny that.
    better Dredd then dead

  4. #24
    Modulator Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    9,115

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    Quote Originally Posted by imarubberducky View Post
    I think its about time we introduced a cut off date for voters. Say 80? Then we won't have any more dementia-ridden idiots voting for national because they're still scared commies will take over the world.

    Seriously though, I'm glad this bill was introduced. It's nice to see that everyone has such a low opinion of youth. And you're all right. We sit round smoking pot, getting drunk, ditching school and having sex every second of every day. Oh and of course driving souped-up cars and starting fights.

    You all really need to get over yourselves. You call nearly everyone under 18 too immature to vote, but you're all too immature to distinguish media-hype from true reality.

    All this bill will do is introduce teenagers to civic education and the idea of voting at a younger age, so hopefully we will have a more motivated and informed population in the future.

    But lets ignore all that, Sue Bradford introduced this bill, and we don't like her, so it must be bad.
    There should be a cut-off for people who choose imarubberducky as a username. Preferably at the neck.

    If you think you're so mature to vote, drink, f*** etc then you're too over-imbibed to think, let alone proffer a sane opinion to parliment.

    Grow up another twenty years, then let us hear what you think.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,281

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    Quote Originally Posted by imarubberducky View Post
    I think its about time we introduced a cut off date for voters. Say 80? Then we won't have any more dementia-ridden idiots voting for national because they're still scared commies will take over the world.

    Seriously though, I'm glad this bill was introduced. It's nice to see that everyone has such a low opinion of youth. And you're all right. We sit round smoking pot, getting drunk, ditching school and having sex every second of every day. Oh and of course driving souped-up cars and starting fights.

    You all really need to get over yourselves. You call nearly everyone under 18 too immature to vote, but you're all too immature to distinguish media-hype from true reality.

    All this bill will do is introduce teenagers to civic education and the idea of voting at a younger age, so hopefully we will have a more motivated and informed population in the future.

    But lets ignore all that, Sue Bradford introduced this bill, and we don't like her, so it must be bad.
    I understand where you're coming from, as I am a teenager under 18 myself.

    However, I strongly disagree with Sue's proposal. 16 year olds are far too young and too narrow minded to think extensively for the good of the country in the long run. Many teenagers nowadays care too much about money, getting laid, etc....they simply don't have the correct and necessary mindset to elect a responsible leader.

    I am not saying all 16 year olds think like the above, but in my experience with friends at schools, boys or girls - most of them are far too immature to elect a responsible leader.

    I don't know what made Sue propose such a bizarre request - it's either she has no children or needs to get laid to conceive one or two.
    Meh....

  6. #26
    Senior Member roddy_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,461

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    Quote Originally Posted by qazwsxokmijn View Post
    I don't know what made Sue propose such a bizarre request..
    If the bill passes, who do you think the majority of 16/17 year olds will vote for?

  7. #27
    Minister of Guitar. rob_on_guitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Distorted Bliss
    Posts
    5,819

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    [QUOTE=imarubberducky;563244]
    Seriously though, I'm glad this bill was introduced. It's nice to see that everyone has such a low opinion of youth. And you're all right. We sit round smoking pot, getting drunk, ditching school and having sex every second of every day. Oh and of course driving souped-up cars and starting fights.
    QUOTE]


    Thats what being a teen is all about. We were there once too.

    I still stand by my earlier statement though, if you pay taxes you should be able to vote.
    Current band: Leave The Dead

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    Quote Originally Posted by roddy_boy View Post
    If the bill passes, who do you think the majority of 16/17 year olds will vote for?
    One of the numerous polls in my high school classroom was "What political party would you vote for". The overwhelming majority was the National party. This is from teens that would be 16 years old come the 2008 elections

  9. #29
    Debiant Myth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    DFT
    Posts
    5,409

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    The following scenario could make life interesting however:
    just before elections (assuming the age was lowered to 16), text messages were sent nationwide amongst 16 and 17 years olds. On election night the Legalise Marijuana party not only got some seats in parliament, they won the election
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

  10. #30
    Frank and Earnest. Cicero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waikanae
    Posts
    17,469

    Default Re: Bradfords at it again :S

    Quote Originally Posted by V1sta View Post
    One of the numerous polls in my high school classroom was "What political party would you vote for". The overwhelming majority was the National party. This is from teens that would be 16 years old come the 2008 elections
    16 year old should be allowed to vote,conditional on them voting National.!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •