Default Maximise Wireless G speed and range

How to? I'm using wireless G at home and my range is not as good as a friend's. Wondering what I can do to extend the range both at the accesspoint and at the terminal.

Banned

Default Re: Maximise Wireless G speed and range

Try putting a hollow empty tin or dish behind your wifi to focus the signal. Like when you cup your hands around your mouth to yell at someone who is standing 50 mtrs away from you.

I'll try it. Found a power boost setting on my lappy wireless and also moved the access point out from the wall and up about 400mm ont a nearby CD rack. Don't know which did the mst, but I now have access ("very low" signal mind you) in my outside workshop (about 40m from the house) which is what I was after. My friend has almost 100m range though.

An armchair, from where I instantly become an expert on all things

firstly putting a metal dish to "bounce" the signal will only cause interference. what you are looking for to "aim" is a directional antenna

secondly i had the same problem with my long-range setup until i finally wired it all. it is possible to buy more powerful aerials to boost the signal range.

just remember that your typical antenna has strongest signal in a sort of doughnut shape around it giving little "sending" above it, and that it must be able to receive also. so make sure all antennae are parallel - all pointing straight up is a safe bet if they're all at the same altitude. watch that the computer case or other metal objects aren't in the way.

the difference between you and your neighbour may simply be the different hardware you guys are using, or interference for things such as power lines and the like.

(see why i gave up and wired up?)
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.