Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Laptop as a sound recorder

The inside of a Laptop [ or any computer really] is a noisy environment wrt sound recording . It helps to get the highest signal level in to try and negate some of this noise ie improve signal to noise ratio

What's the model of laptop Gary ? Does it have a line -in option as well as a microphone in? Free usb slots ?

Would your budget stretch to include an external sound card ?

A good quality mic will set you back about $100 - $200 . Or more of course ...

Mike

Hi KatiMike

Of course the budget is limited. My wife mumbles at me when i begin to talk about new things.

I have a NEC Versa E3100 with four USB ports, and an IEEE 1394 port. I appear to have Sigma Tel Audio but am unsure as to what really is installed.

Cheers
    Gary

Thanks for the details about the Laptop Gary - looks like it has one mic in, no line in and the 4x usb connections
    An external soundcard improves the quality of sound capture greatly compared to recording in via the mic input . In your case an external usb unit would work . Of course I understand the budget mayn't stretch to such a unit - they're priced around $200 to $300

Will plod on with a NIL budget and see what I can do.

Have tried Nero Wave Editor and AUDACITY and find OK but the mic doesn't allow for much volume flexibility. With settings at full, the mic has to be close (200mm) to the narrator.

Cheers
    Gary

Banned

Sounds like you need one of those directional microphones that the DOC guys use, or find a cheap friendly electronics engineer to build you something.

Hi All

Over the last couple of days, I have been looking at a few applications, some freeware, some shareware, some of which are complete audio systems.

The latest that I have seen which suits simple recording, but with some ability to manipulate background effects, can be found here http://www.wildvoice.com/Pages/WildVoice_Studio.aspx

If you're interested, it's worth a look. On it's own, it is quite suitable as a recorder but I found that by using Nero Wave Editor and my PC speakers, I can manipulate sound quality and effects quite markedly.

Currently I am using a small PC type mic and I am not sure as to the difference that a unidirectional mic would make but will make some enquiries next time I'm in the big smoke.

Cheers
    Gary